We are looking for qualified, experienced professionals who are interested in sharing real-world knowledge with our students.
• Have a master’s degree in the area in which they plan to teach OR have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years experience in the field in which they plan to teach
• Be currently involved in the field either through full-time employment or freelance consulting and other work (board memberships, presentations at industry conferences, etc.)
• Prior teaching experience is not required but is a plus. Experience in presenting at conferences or large meetings is helpful.
Typically we assign instructors a course that meets one day a week from 5:30 to 8:10 pm, although we occasionally have openings for classes that meet twice a week for an hour and 15 minutes during the day.
Outside of course meeting time, instructors can expect to spend a few hours each week preparing for their lectures, creating and grading assignments, and writing and grading quizzes and exams. Instructors are also required to hold weekly office hours for students. These can be held in person before or after class or virtually by appointment.
The Lubar School can provide adjunct faculty with a sample syllabus for a course, the official learning goal and outcomes for the course, and an instructor’s copy of the textbook the instructor chooses to use. Instructors will also have access to a campus email address, a campus mailbox and, on an as-needed basis, an office in Lubar Hall.
- Instructors must provide students with a course syllabus that meets Lubar and UWM syllabus guidelines and provides clear grading guidelines.
- Instructors should be responsive to students’ questions and emails.
- Instructors must familiarize themselves with the online learning platform Canvas even if they are teaching in person. The Lubar School will provide self-guided training on this tool.
- Other requirements can be found in the Instructor Handbook, which instructors will receive upon employment.
If you are interested in teaching, please submit your information using the form below. Should we have an opening that fits your area of expertise, we will contact you.