The Southeast Asian-American Student Services (SAASS) office provides recruitment and retention services which are essential in helping Southeast Asian-American (Cambodian, Hmong, Laotian and Vietnamese) students. To best serve students, the office works closely with the faculty, staff, and students at UWM, and Southeast Asian communities and leaders in Milwaukee and Wisconsin.
The support services include academic advising, assistance with the application for admission, career planning assistance, financial aid assistance, personal counseling and more. Recruitment activities currently are targeted at all areas of Wisconsin which have a significant population of Southeast Asians.
- To provide culturally sensitive supportive services that are essential for Southeast Asian (Cambodian, Hmong, Laotian, and Vietnamese) American students at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee to achieve their educational goals.
- To recruit Southeast Asian-American students to the university through recruitment and outreach activities.
- To work with the campus community to create a warmer, friendlier campus environment that encourages Southeast Asian-American students to engage in the process of learning and discovery.
Our Advising Goals
- To thoroughly and systematically advise Southeast Asian-American students in L&S in regards to their academic plans, policies and procedures.
- To work closely with other academic advising programs to provide the best academic course of actions for non-L&S Southeast Asian-American students to facilitate the achievement of their education.
- To encourage Southeast Asian-American students to think beyond their undergraduate education and reach their fullest potential.
- To encourage and promote regular communications between the Southeast Asian-American students and their academic advisors in the appropriate academic programs.
- Intensive academic advising
- Counseling on university policies and procedures
- Assistance with financial aid and scholarship applications
- Guidance for academic, personal or career issues and referral to campus resources
- Connection to Hmong, Laotian, and Vietnamese student organizations
- Celebration of your success
- Career exploration
- Community engagement
- Information on Asian academic programs including the Asian Studies Certificate and the Hmong Diaspora Studies Certificate
- Information on English as a Second Language