Who should apply as Undergraduate Non-degree Student?

  • Guest students from another institution who want to take classes over summer or winter break and then transfer them back to their current institution
  • Students who are taking prerequisites to get into a graduate program or professional school (ex: medical school, law school, etc.)
  • Students who already have a bachelor’s degree and want to complete an undergraduate certificate program at UWM. Please also contact the department –a certificate program application may be required in addition to the non-degree university application
  • Students who want to take some courses at UWM for personal or professional enrichment but do not want an undergraduate degree from UWM. You can either audit the courses (lower cost – no credit, no grades) or you can take courses for credit (transcribed and can be used towards a degree)
  • 60+ Auditors or Disabled Auditors, request a packet to be mailed to you by calling 414-229-4672.

Who should not apply as an Undergraduate Non-degree

  • If you are wanting to receive an undergraduate degree from UWM you should apply as a degree-seeking student. Please review the transfer or new freshmen application process at apply.wisconsin.edu/
  • If you are considering graduate school, please meet with the graduate school to talk about required prerequisites prior to applying as an undergraduate non-degree student

Non-degree Admission Guidelines

If you have already attended or are currently attending another college or university, then you must be in good financial standing at that institution (not have any past due accounts) to qualify for admission at UWM.

You must have graduated from a recognized high school at least one year prior to the desired semester of enrollment, or be admissible based upon acceptable GED test scores. Exceptions can be made if you are attending another university and can provide a copy of your admissions letter.

In most cases, we will not need your transcripts for admission. No transferable coursework or other credits earned (e.g. via AP or CLEP exam) will be posted to your UWM non-degree student record. Therefore, if you would like to take a course at UWM that requires a prerequisite you have earned elsewhere, you may need to get permission from the department to add the course.

Non-degree Financial Aid

Non-degree students do not automatically qualify for federal student aid. To qualify for aid at UWM, students need to be enrolled at least half time in an eligible certificate/certification program or be enrolled half time to complete prerequisites for a UWM graduate program. You will complete the Non-degree Enrollment Verification Form and have an advisor in your degree program sign it (not your non-degree advisor.) You can find this form here.

Non-degree Registration

Register for classes on PAWS. Go to uwm.edu/schedule to see which classes are offered each semester. Use the advanced search function to find online or evening classes. To register for classes, click on “enroll” under the academics section. If your class has prerequisites, you may need to contact the department or professor for permission.  If a class is closed or you do not get added from the waitlist, you can see if the professor can add you to the class on the first day. Please bring a registration change form. uwm.edu/registrar/registrars-office-forms

Application Process & Enrollment Tips for Non-degree

1. Apply Online
To apply now, visit apply.wisconsin.edu. We will generally accept an application up until the day before classes start. There is no application fee to apply as a non-degree undergraduate.
2. View the Schedule of Classes
Browse the Schedule of Classes to see what is being offered and start planning your courses now.
3. After you are admitted
Generally within ten days of submitting your application, you’ll receive your welcome letter that outlines important semester dates and contact information.
4. Registration
Before you can register for classes, you must activate your epanther ID and password. Visit epantherid.uwm.edu to activate your account. When you are eligible to register for classes, log onto PAWS with your epanther ID and password. Please refer to Courses & Registration to learn more about enrollment, the undergraduate catalog and other course information. See the Schedule of Classes for more information on deadlines. Remember you cannot register for classes until you are admitted to the University. If you wish to audit classes (not receive credit), you can select “audit” when you register for the class. If you are a visiting student from another institution, an advisor from your home institution should recommend which courses will transfer back and apply toward your degree there. Once you complete your UWM courses and receive grades, you will need to request an official transcript to be sent back to your home institution to receive credit.
5. Contact us
We hope that you enjoy your experience at UWM so much that you want to earn a degree from us. Contact an advisor from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (414-229-2222 or contact.uwm.edu) to set up an appointment. An advisor will walk you through the degree candidate application process. They are also available to answer any questions you have about being a non-degree student.

Mailing Address

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
P.O. Box 749
Milwaukee, WI 53201-0749

Street Address

Welcome Center
2100 E Kenwood Blvd
Milwaukee, WI 53211