What is a project?
A project is a unique, uncommon, operation where a specific set of actions have been designed to accomplish a goal. It is temporary in nature, has a specific timeline, a fixed scope, well-defined resources, and a capable project team used in conjunction with one another to reach the desired outcome.
An IT project typically performs one or more of the following functions and meets one or more of the following criteria:
- Implement a new system or service
- Make significant improvements to an existing system or service
- Application of major upgrades to software and hardware
- Research new technology for a specific purpose
- Improve existing or introduce new processes
- It will take more than one week of effort to complete
- It will involve more than one person or department
- It will affect more than one departments
- It will involve procurement of IT resources
- It will require documentation, training, and communication
- It will significantly impact other areas of work
- It will have significant interest or involvement of leadership