Enrollment FAQs

How do I navigate PAWS?

Check out the student resources to learn how to navigate PAWS.

PAWS Student Resources

When can I enroll in classes for next semester? How is my enrollment appointment determined?

Students access their enrollment appointment (the date and time after which they are able to enroll) via their student center in PAWS. Generally, enrollment appointments are visible in PAWS approximately one week prior to the start of registration and throughout the Priority Enrollment period for a term. Learn more about enrollment appointment order.

How do I remove the hold on my account?

When you access your student center on PAWS, find the “Holds” box on the right side of the screen. Click “details.” Each hold that is applied to your account will appear. Click the title of the hold to access instructions on how to have it released. Your CHS advisor cannot release holds issued by other campus offices (such as the bursar, library, AOC, etc.).

How do I know if a course satisfies a general education requirement (GER)?

There are two quick and easy ways. First, when you view the UWM Schedule of Classes for a particular semester, navigate down the left side of the page to find all GER courses offered in that semester. Second, when you search for a class in PAWS, review the class detail. In the “Enrollment Information” box, the requirement designation will tell you if it fulfills a GER and the specific distribution subject.

I am trying to register for a required course, but PAWS keeps giving me an error message. What can I do?

Sometimes the error message you receive in PAWS is very clear (i.e. section closed). In many cases, the class has filled to capacity and no seats are available. Before contacting your advisor, verify you have satisfied the prerequisites listed for the course in which you are attempting to enroll. If you feel you are receiving a message in error and/or have been specifically advised to take the course by your advisor, copy and paste the error message into an email, and send it to your advisor so she/he may determine an appropriate solution. Be sure to include your name and campus ID number in your email.

I’m still on a wait list for a class. What now?

Wait lists are processed each night up until the last business day before the first day of classes. Often times there is much movement on wait lists during those final days before the start of a new semester. Students are advised to be patient and allow the process to run its course. If you are not added to the course via the wait list by the first day of class, attend the first meeting of the class as if you were enrolled. Bring a registration change form with you and ask the instructor if they will sign the form so you may be added to the course. If the instructor agrees, complete the remainder of the form and submit it to the Registrar in 274 Mellencamp Hall. If the instructor does not agree, you will not be added to the course. Contact your advisor if you need additional assistance.

When is the add/drop deadline?

Check out the UWM add/drop calendar for deadlines.

Transfer FAQs

I am a newly-admitted transfer student. What are my next steps?

First, explore the information we have available to transfer students on our website. If you do not find the answers you are looking for, contact your advisor via email.

How do the Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) courses I took in high school transfer to UWM?
I want to take a class over the summer at a different institution. How can I make sure it will transfer to UWM to fulfill a requirement? Where do I send my transcripts once the course is completed?

Ask TED! The Transfer Equivalency Database (TED) is an online tool which allows you to search for equivalent courses by institution. If the institution you want to attend is not included in the TED, contact the UWM Registrar’s Office to inquire about how the course will transfer to UWM. Be sure to include the name of the institution and the course subject, number, title, and description in your inquiry. If the credits will not transfer to UWM as the direct equivalent of your major requirement, do not take the course.

Always consult with your advisor before enrolling in a summer course away from UWM.

If you complete a transferable course, order a transcript to be sent from the summer institution to the UWM Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 274 Mellencamp Hall, 2442 E. Kenwood Blvd., Milwaukee, WI 53211.

Miscellaneous FAQs

How do I order a UWM transcript?
I have a question about my financial aid. Can my academic advisor help?

No, unless a financial aid advisor directed you to your academic advisor to complete a form. Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Financial Aid Office, 162 Mellencamp Hall.

Where can I find scholarships offered by RST?
Where can I obtain CPR, AED and/or First Aid certification?

Check out course locations for obtaining CPR/First Aid certification:

CPR, AED & First Aid Certification Locations (PDF)

Office of Student Affairs

Cunningham Hall
Room 135

Mailing Address
UWM College of Nursing Student Services
CUN 135
PO BOX 413
Milwaukee WI 53201

Physical Address
1921 E. Hartford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53211