The UW-Milwaukee Testing Center provides machine-scanning services for classroom exams. Standard scannable forms can accommodate up to 200 questions with 5 possible answer choices. Standard pdf reports include test statistics such as standard deviation, difficulty factor, average score, median score, highest score, lowest score, and number of respondents. Exam data is also available in an Excel file format. An email link for exam scoring results will be sent. Results are posted via SharePoint.
COVID-19-related guidelines: Due to COVID19 related guidelines for processing and staff reductions the timeline for processing exam scantron forms will be in excess of two weeks. Given the need to provide timely feedback to students, it is strongly encouraged that instructors use other testing formats (such as use of blue books).
Please contact the Testing Center at 414 229-4689 with any questions.
1) Request Exam Processing. You must complete and submit the Exam Processing Request from our online application. This will include department information, email/phone number, and the type of reports requested.
Order answer sheets. Limited availability with extended lead time by prior arrangement only, due to COVID 19. Email email@example.com for information.
2) Answer Sheet Drop Off. Answer sheets must be dropped off in Mellencamp Hall, Room 274, the Info Area.Hours are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm.
Exam answer sheets may also be placed in the drop box outside the building. Please label your envelope with “Attn: Testing Center.”
Note: The Testing Center is not responsible for any material dropped off other than exam answer sheets and keys.
All exams require a key sheet. This sheet must have the correct answers filled in.
- Darken in the circles for each correct answer. Make sure that all marks are dark and completely fill the circles.
- Write “key” and the professor’s name in the Name Field. Do not darken the circles for the name.
- Answer sheets should have the student name bubbled in.
- Answer sheets must be filled out with a #2 pencil in order to be read by the scanner.
- Answer sheets filled out in ink will not receive results.
- Do not make marks along the left hand edge or the bottom of the sheet.
- Face all answer sheets in the same direction.
- Do not fold, bend, or staple the sheets. Keep the sheets flat and dry.
- Creased or wrinkled answer sheets may not be scannable.
Multiple Sections: If you have a multiple section test, where you have two keys and two versions of the same test given to students, keep both sections in separate envelopes. When you check in your exam, indicate on the Exam Scoring Request form that you have two sections. Each section will produce separate reports.
The Testing Center is happy to serve you and will make every effort to meet your needs. If you have any questions, please ask a staff member in the Testing Center, and we will be glad to assist you.
D2L files include name, ID, and raw score.
Excel files can be customized to include name, ID, total score, responses, special codes, number correct, percentile, percent score.
- D2L Tutorial
- Class Frequency Distribution Report (pdf)
- Condensed Test Report (pdf)
- Student Grade Report (pdf)
- Test Item Statistics Report (pdf)
- Detailed Item Analysis Report (pdf)
- Test Statistics Report (pdf)
- Student Statistics Report (pdf)
- Condensed Item Analysis Report (pdf)
Exam reports will be shared through SharePoint. You will receive an email with a link to your folder.
3) Exam pick up. An authorized representative must pick up the answer sheet sheets. We do not send exams materials through inter-campus mail as that compromises test security. You or the representative will need to present a valid photo ID. Answer sheets that are not picked up from the Testing Center at the end of the semester will be shredded.
Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning’s (CETL’s) Learning Technology Consultants Supporting instructors’ use of learning technologies. If you need assistance or have questions about using Canvas or uploading your exam file you will find the help you need on their website.
For assistance in managing your SharePoint folder, please review the tutorial (pdf).