If my landlord isn’t making repairs or returning my phone calls, should/can I refuse to pay rent until the repairs are made?

You can withhold the rent from your landlord, but you have to do it legally and through the City of Milwaukee.  Contact the University Legal Clinic to find out more about this process and to get legal advice. You can also directly contact the City of  Milwaukee  for more information on how to withhold your rent legally.  If you choose to withhold rent without going through the city, your landlord can legally evict you for not paying your rent!