How do I make a complaint to the Department of Neighborhood Services?

By Phone:

Call (414) 286-2268 during business hours, Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. You may request that your name be confidential. You will be asked for the address of the property and a description of the problem. They will need your name and number so if an inspector needs more information or you wish a call back, they can do that. Depending on the season, staffing conditions and type of complaint, the typical response time is a day to a week. More urgent complaints (no water) are typically answered within 24 hours (excluding weekends).


  1. Go to the City website
  2. On the City’s home page in the right upper corner, click on the link for “Click For Action
  3. A new window will open and you can select from a list of conditions that the City responds to. Find the match for your request and click on it. Another window will open.
  4. As you enter the address a window will open to help you pick it. If it’s a duplex, use the LOWER number. If you know the owner’s contact information fill it in. Add your contact information so the inspector can contact you for entry or follow-up questions.
  5. Important! Check the box “YES” if you want your complaint to remain confidential. DNS with not release your name unless ordered to do so by a court.
  6. Click on “Submit Request.” You are done!
  7. If you subscribe to E-Notify you will be sent updates at each step of the inspection process, i.e., complaint entered, disposition of inspection, orders issued (if needed), resolution of order (muni court, citation, rein spection fee), permits, etc. You may also monitor properties in your neighborhood.