Majoring and minoring in History at UWM can involve more than just accumulating the required number of credits. We hope that you will become actively involved in the life and work of the Department in ways that will make your undergraduate career more interesting and rewarding. Majors have the opportunity to serve on our Undergraduate Affairs Committee and play a role in shaping policies that affect the curriculum and all matters related to the major. The History Department also offers competitive grants and awards to undergraduates.
Undergraduate students with at least 12 credits in history with a minimum 3.1 GPA and an overall GPA of at least 3.0 are eligible to become members of Phi Alpha Theta, the national history honor society. UWM’s Delta Phi chapter of Phi Alpha Theta is one of the oldest honor societies at UWM and has a history stretching back to 1953. To learn more about the organization and find out how to join:
The requirements for the major and minor in History may be completed online. A variety of lower- and upper-division courses are available throughout the year, including the required methods course and capstone seminar.
Undergraduate students have the chance to work directly with faculty on their research. Undergraduate students have recently participated on the following faculty research projects:
- Contesting the Universal: Korea, UNESCO, and the Transnational Politics of Memory Activism (Prof. Nan Kim)
- The Encyclopedia of Milwaukee (Prof. Amanda Seligman)
- Gambling in the Former Soviet Union: The Tallinn Hippodrome (Prof. Christine Evans)
- Global Russians, Playful Communities: Russian/Soviet Television Game Shows as a Pastime in the U.S. Post-Soviet diaspora (Prof. Christine Evans)
- International Documenting Deportation Project (Prof. Rachel Buff, UWM, and the University of Toronto)
- Symbolic State-Building in Contemporary Russia: The Priamaia Liniia Broadcasts (Prof. Christine Evans)
- The Transnational History of Satellite Broadcasting (Prof. Christine Evans)
- Wisconsin Farms Oral History Project (Prof. Jasmine Alinder)
Contact the UWM Office of Undergraduate Research for more information on current opportunities and how to apply.
If you have questions about the undergraduate program in History, please visit the appropriate pages on this site for answers and relevant information.
For more information contact the co-Director of Undergraduate Studies:
Lisa Silverman (Advising/Declaration of Major)
Holton Hall, Room 331