In our rapidly changing world, the ability to make connections across local and global communities is a critical tool for success. In CC courses you will learn how to make these connections through your courses and through hands-on service learning experiences in the community. The whole city becomes our campus as we combine academics with real world experience and build lasting partnerships with diverse community organizations. The Center for Community Based Learning, Leadership and Research coordinates service learning for CC students.
Service learners have:
- Examined urban history by participating in an archeology dig
- Explored how dance and movement affect brain activity to enhance learning in children
- Created oral histories documenting how diverse immigrants helped
- build Milwaukee’s neighborhoods
- Produced videos about race, ethnicity and personal identity
“Service learning allowed me to put faces on the issues and see actual people whom those issues affect.”