Education for the 21st CenturyThe Cultures & Communities Certificate is an exciting way for students to organize their general education requirements. By taking at least 15 credits of CC courses, including one with a service learning component you can earn the Cultures & Communities Certificate and meet your General Education Requirements (GERS) at the same time. Over 200 CC-affiliated courses are available in the Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences; many courses satisfy the Cultural Diversity requirement too.
With the Certificate you will be able to:
- Bridge what you are learning in the classroom to real world experiences
- Coordinate the Certificate with any major at UWM
- Network in Milwaukee’s diverse communities
- Prepare for careers in Education, Business, the Arts, Government, Social Work and Health Sciences
Students must complete 15 credits of Cultures & Communities coursework in order to earn the certificate: 3 credits in a section of the required CC core course in addition to 12 credits in CC approved courses. In addition to coursework students must engage in 15-20 hours of community engagement through a Service Learning experience.
To get started:
1. Download our declaration form and fill out the top half. The bottom portion of the form is an advising worksheet, so your advisor will help you complete that portion when you meet.
2. Make an appointment to meet with the program advisor. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Declaring C&C.” Please remember to bring your declaration form with you to the meeting.
For additional questions, please contact: