“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
Title IX, Education Amendments of 1972 20 U.S.C. §§1681-1688 and its implementing regulation at 34 C.F.R. Part 106
Title IX is a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination. Sex discrimination includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, sex-based misconduct, relationship violence, discrimination based on pregnancy, and the failure to provide equal opportunities in employment, admissions, or any educational programs or activities.
UWM adheres to all federal, state, and local civil rights laws prohibiting discrimination in employment and education. UWM does not discriminate in its admissions practices, in its employment practices, or in its educational programs or activities on the basis of sex. UWM is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that all of its programs and activities do not discriminate on the basis of sex and in compliance with Title IX, UWM will not tolerate discrimination or harassing conduct that is based on sex, or any other protected status.
Click here to read the Chancellor’s message (8/17/20) regarding the new Title IX regulations. These new regulations do not diminish our shared responsibility to create a culture that does not tolerate sexual discrimination. UWM remains committed to preventing sex discrimination and responding to all forms of sexual harassment or sexual violence as sexual misconduct. We will continue to be a community in which survivors are supported and fair processes are followed. Most importantly, we remain committed to supporting an inclusive, respectful, and caring community.
You may review UWM’s full investigatory and disciplinary processes in the following documents:
- Discriminatory Conduct And Consensual Relationships Policy (SAAP 5-1)
- Sexual Violence And Sexual Harassment Policy (SAAP 5-2)
- Policy on Investigation and Resolution of Formal Title IX Complaints (SAAP 5-4)
- UWM Policies and Procedures Chapter 5 (for Faculty)
- Chapter UWS 4 (for Faculty)
- Chapter UWS 6 (for Faculty)
- Chapter UWS 7 (for Faculty)
- Chapter UWS 11 (for Academic Staff)
- Emergency Rule Chapter UWS 17 effective for disciplinary proceedings initiated between August 15, 2020 and June 1, 2021
- Chapter UWS 17 (for Students) effective June 1, 2021
- Title IX Guidance for Advisors