Traumatic events such as childhood abuse and neglect, intimate partner violence or neighborhood violence may cause a variety of problems that social workers and other professionals address on a daily basis.

The Graduate Certificate in Trauma-Informed Care program trains graduate students from social work and other departments (e.g., counseling psychology, criminal justice & criminology, nursing, and occupational therapy).

Completion of the program results in a transcript designation of certificate completion for Trauma-Informed Care in the student’s profession. This indicates an advanced level of training in Trauma-Informed Care to prospective employers and professional organizations.

  •  Current MSW students in good standing
  •  Those who have their MSW degree or related bachelor’s degree
  •  Applicants must meet with the certificate coordinator or other TIC advisor prior to completing 6 TIC certificate program credits. This meeting will help you prepare your online application through the graduate school website.
    • Certificate students in social work will complete 15 credits in coursework and fieldwork in trauma-informed care, 7 of which can count toward MSW graduation requirements while 8 must be taken above and beyond these required credits.

Graduate Certificate in Trauma-Informed Care 
Course #Course TitleCreditsSemester
Required Coursework
SocWrk 774Trauma Counseling I: Theory3Fall, Spring
SocWrk 775Trauma Counseling II: Practice3Fall, Spring
Fieldwork in trauma-informed practice settings (highly recommended)
SocWrk 721, 722, 821, 822 or 921Field Placement3 or 4
Potential Elective Coursework
SocWrk/Crm Jus 497South Africa3Summer
SocWrk/Crm Jus 497Austria3Summer
SocWrk 820 (On Hold)Motivational Interviewing2
SocWrk 896-820Interventions for Substance Misuse + SBIRT2
SocWrk 753Adult Psychopathology3Fall, Spring, Summer
SocWrk 754Child and Adolescent Psychopathology2Fall, Spring
SocWrk 690Mindfulness & Community Building3Fall, Spring
SocWrk 680Death & Dying3Fall, Spring, Summer
SocWrk 818Treatment of Co- Occurring Disorders3Fall, Spring
Crm Jst 970Women and the Criminal Justice System3Fall, Spring
Crm Jst 830Intervention Strategies for Correctional Clients3
Psych 711Functional Assessment & Interventions3On hold
Psych 727Introduction to Cognitive Neuroscience3Fall, Spring, Summer
PH 732Youth Mental Health Practice for Non Mental Health Professionals3
Couns 704Multicultural Mental Health Guidelines & Ethics Overview3Fall, Spring
Couns 705Multicultural Practice: Awareness and Practice of Others (704 is prereq)3Spring
Couns 715Multicultural Counseling3Fall, Spring
Couns 744Multicultural Mental Health Guidelines for Working with First Nations People3On hold
Couns 812Clinical Studies in Counseling3Fall, Summer
Couns 816Counseling Children & Adolescents3Spring, Summer
Couns 820Counseling Appraisal & Decision-Making3Spring, Summer
Couns 904Family Systems Theory, Research, and Practice3Summer
Occthpy 725Occupational Therapy Field Service I3
Occthpy 735Occupational Therapy Field Service II3
Occthpy 519Therapeutic Communications3
Occthpy 719Occupational Therapy in Psychosocial Practice3
Nurs 899Practicum in Nursing Research3
Student Resources
    • Gainful Employment
      Due to new federal financial aid regulations, beginning with the summer 2017 term, students who had not previously been awarded federal financial aid at UWM and are enrolled in a stand-alone certificate program will no longer be eligible for federal Title IV aid. Students in a stand-alone certificate who are seeking financial assistance maybe eligible for private loans. Private loans are not guaranteed as they are subject to lender approval including a credit check.
    • Below is a link to a tool that will help you learn what to look for when shopping for a private loan. At the end of the short tutorial, it will provide a comparison shopping tool allowing you to sort, filter, and compare up to five lenders at one time.
    • FastChoice
    • Upon applying for the loan of your choice and being approved, the UWM Financial Aid Office will be notified by the lender to provide enrollment information. At such time the loan will be added to your financial aid award.
    • For previously enrolled students who have been awarded federal financial aid, see the Gainful Employment Certificate Disclosure Information below.
    • Gainful Employment Certificate Disclosure Information
Request Information

Contact Us