Traumatic events such as childhood abuse and neglect, intimate partner violence or neighborhood violence may cause a variety of problems that social workers and other professionals address on a daily basis.
The Graduate Certificate in Trauma-Informed Care program trains graduate students from social work and other departments (e.g., counseling psychology, criminal justice & criminology, nursing, and occupational therapy).
Completion of the program results in a transcript designation of certificate completion for Trauma-Informed Care in the student’s profession. This indicates an advanced level of training in Trauma-Informed Care to prospective employers and professional organizations.
- Current MSW students in good standing
- Those who have their MSW degree or related bachelor’s degree
- Applicants must meet with the certificate coordinator or other TIC advisor prior to completing 6 TIC certificate program credits. This meeting will help you prepare your online application through the graduate school website.
- Certificate students in social work will complete 15 credits in coursework and fieldwork in trauma-informed care, 7 of which can count toward MSW graduation requirements while 8 must be taken above and beyond these required credits.
|Graduate Certificate in Trauma-Informed Care|
|Course #||Course Title||Credits||Semester|
|SocWrk 774||Trauma Counseling I: Theory||3||Fall, Spring|
|SocWrk 775||Trauma Counseling II: Practice||3||Fall, Spring|
|Fieldwork in trauma-informed practice settings (highly recommended)|
|SocWrk 721, 722, 821, 822 or 921||Field Placement||3 or 4|
|Potential Elective Coursework|
|SocWrk/Crm Jus 497||South Africa||3||Summer|
|SocWrk/Crm Jus 497||Austria||3||Summer|
|SocWrk 820 (On Hold)||Motivational Interviewing||2|
|SocWrk 896-820||Interventions for Substance Misuse + SBIRT||2|
|SocWrk 753||Adult Psychopathology||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|SocWrk 754||Child and Adolescent Psychopathology||2||Fall, Spring|
|SocWrk 690||Mindfulness & Community Building||3||Fall, Spring|
|SocWrk 680||Death & Dying||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|SocWrk 818||Treatment of Co- Occurring Disorders||3||Fall, Spring|
|Crm Jst 970||Women and the Criminal Justice System||3||Fall, Spring|
|Crm Jst 830||Intervention Strategies for Correctional Clients||3|
|Psych 711||Functional Assessment & Interventions||3||On hold|
|Psych 727||Introduction to Cognitive Neuroscience||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|PH 732||Youth Mental Health Practice for Non Mental Health Professionals||3|
|Couns 704||Multicultural Mental Health Guidelines & Ethics Overview||3||Fall, Spring|
|Couns 705||Multicultural Practice: Awareness and Practice of Others (704 is prereq)||3||Spring|
|Couns 715||Multicultural Counseling||3||Fall, Spring|
|Couns 744||Multicultural Mental Health Guidelines for Working with First Nations People||3||On hold|
|Couns 812||Clinical Studies in Counseling||3||Fall, Summer|
|Couns 816||Counseling Children & Adolescents||3||Spring, Summer|
|Couns 820||Counseling Appraisal & Decision-Making||3||Spring, Summer|
|Couns 904||Family Systems Theory, Research, and Practice||3||Summer|
|Occthpy 725||Occupational Therapy Field Service I||3|
|Occthpy 735||Occupational Therapy Field Service II||3|
|Occthpy 519||Therapeutic Communications||3|
|Occthpy 719||Occupational Therapy in Psychosocial Practice||3|
|Nurs 899||Practicum in Nursing Research||3|
- Gainful Employment
Due to new federal financial aid regulations, beginning with the summer 2017 term, students who had not previously been awarded federal financial aid at UWM and are enrolled in a stand-alone certificate program will no longer be eligible for federal Title IV aid. Students in a stand-alone certificate who are seeking financial assistance maybe eligible for private loans. Private loans are not guaranteed as they are subject to lender approval including a credit check.
- Below is a link to a tool that will help you learn what to look for when shopping for a private loan. At the end of the short tutorial, it will provide a comparison shopping tool allowing you to sort, filter, and compare up to five lenders at one time.
- Upon applying for the loan of your choice and being approved, the UWM Financial Aid Office will be notified by the lender to provide enrollment information. At such time the loan will be added to your financial aid award.
- For previously enrolled students who have been awarded federal financial aid, see the Gainful Employment Certificate Disclosure Information below.
- Gainful Employment Certificate Disclosure Information
- Gainful Employment
- Senior Lecturer
Linda Britz, Ph.D.
- Senior Lecturer
- Criminal Justice & Criminology
Assistant Professor and MSCJ
Danielle Romain Dagenhardt, Ph.D.
- Read more about the Graduate Certificate in Trauma-Informed Care