Grants are gift aid and, in most cases, do not have to be repaid if the enrollment period is completed. To receive grants, a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed each academic year. Most grants require a student to be an undergraduate seeking a first degree and attending at least half-time. To see specific eligibility requirements, please review individual grant descriptions.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant
  • Offered to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need who have not earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree.
  • The amount of the award is based on the EFC (expected family contribution) from the FAFSA results and is prorated if enrolled in less than 12 credits each semester.
  • May be eligible for a partial grant if enrolled for less than half-time (fewer than 6 credits).
  • Maximum award for the 2019-20 academic year is $6,195. EFC must be lower than 5586.
  • Maximum award for the 2020-21 academic year is $6,345. EFC must be lower than 5711.
  • Eligibility is limited to 12 full-time semesters (or the equivalent).
  • Effective Summer 2018, students who have received full-time Pell for the Fall and Spring terms and enroll in at least 6 credits for the summer term may have additional Pell eligibility.  Additional Pell eligibility is subject to remaining enrolled throughout the summer in at least 6 credits.

For additional information on the Federal Pell Grant, please click here to be directed to the U.S. Department of Education.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Must be eligible for a maximum Federal Pell Grant to be considered for this grant.
  • Funds are limited. Students should apply as soon as October 1 prior to upcoming fall semester.
  • Maximum award: $1,000 per academic year.
  • Award may be reduced for less than full-time enrollment.

For additional information on FSEOG, please click here to be directed to the U.S. Department of Education.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)
  • Enroll in an undergraduate or graduate program of study that will lead to a teaching degree.
    • Students enrolled in a Post-Baccalaureate program are not eligible at UWM.
    • Students enrolled in the combined Masters/ Post- Baccalaureate program are not eligible while they are enrolled at the Post- Baccalaureate level, but become eligible while in the Master’s program.
  • Plan to take course work that is necessary to begin a career in teaching.
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • Students do not have to demonstrate financial need, but must submit a FAFSA.
  • Must sign an agreement to serve in high-need field areas e.g. bilingual education and English language acquisition, foreign languages, mathematics, reading, science, special education; and teach in schools designated as serving low-income students.
  • If you believe you meet this program’s criteria, please go to the website and complete the TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling as well as the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve. You will then be contacted by the University with regard to your eligibility and any additional counseling requirements.
  • For more information about eligibility, please contact:  Rob Longwell-Grice from the School of Education at (414) 229-3059;
  • If you fail to complete the service obligation (teaching full-time in high need area serving low income students for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing your program of study), this grant becomes a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Students must then repay these funds with interest added from the date the original grant was disbursed.

For award amounts and additional information on TEACH, please click here to be directed to the U.S. Department of Education.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
  • For students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of performing military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11.
  • Must be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant based on expected family contribution (EFC), but meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements.
  • Must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.

For award amounts and additional information on the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, please click here to be directed to the U.S. Department of Education.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship
  • For students whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a safety officer.
  • Must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant based on expected family contribution.
  • Must be less than 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education at the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death.
  • Eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.
  • In addition, the student’s eligibility for Direct Loans and for Campus-Based program aid must be based on an EFC of zero.
  • In subsequent award years, continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.
  • If you believe you may be eligible for this program, please contact the Financial Aid Office.
Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant

Eligibility requirements vary by tribe.  Please consult your tribe for their specific requirements.  Some common requirements are:

  • Certified one-quarter American Indian by your tribe.
  • Must be enrolled full-time.
  • Submit Indian scholarship application to your tribe.
  • Renewable up to five years.
  • Must send grade report to your tribe each semester to retain consideration for eligibility.
  • Maximum award amount for an academic year varies by tribe and ranges from $1,200 to $30,000 per year.
AmeriCorps Segal Education Award

AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, fighting poverty, sustaining national parks, preparing for disasters, and more.  One of the primary programs is the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.  This is a post-service benefit earned by individuals who complete an approved term of national service in AmeriCorps programs.  There are two ways in which to utilize a Segal Education Award.

If you would like more information about how to get involved with AmeriCorps you may visit for more information.

If you would like to utilize a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award at UW-Milwaukee, you may submit your request via the MyAmericorps portal here.

  1. The award may be used to pay current or past educational expenses at eligible post-secondary institutions.  This type of request is administered by the UWM Financial aid Department, located in Mellencamp Hall Room 162.  All funding approved before the start of a given term will arrive approximately two weeks after the start of that term, as required by AmeriCorps program rules.
  2. The award may also be used to repay qualified students loans.  This type of request is administered by the UWM Accounts Receivable Office, located in Mitchell Hall room 295. ***Please note UW-Milwaukee is NOT a university involved in the AmeriCorpsService Matching Program.
Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs Grant (Gear Up)
The Gear Up Grant is administered by the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP) agency. Eligible students are identified by WEOP and eligibility is confirmed by the Financial Aid Office. In order to confirm eligibility, students must complete a FAFSA and submit any required additional forms. Students must maintain continuous enrollment in order to remain eligible for this grant.

Gear Up Awarding Timeframe

Continuing Gear Up recipients can expect to see their award on PAWS toward the end of September, with funds disbursing in October.
New Gear Up recipients will see their award posted later, usually October, with their funds disbursing by the end of November.

Wisconsin State Grants

To be eligible for financial aid from the State of Wisconsin, a student must:

  • Be a resident of the state of Wisconsin
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
  • Enroll in an undergraduate degree or certificate program
  • Attend a non-profit college or university based in Wisconsin
  • Register with the United States Selective Service System (SSS) if you are male
  • Not be delinquent in payments of court-ordered child support and/or maintenance

The FAFSA needs to be completed in order to determine eligibility for need-based state financial aid programs. The FAFSA can be completed at

Wisconsin Grant
  • Based on financial need.
  • At least half-time enrollment.
  • Enrollment in a program leading to a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • Award ranges from $779 – $3,003 for the 2019-20 academic year.
  • Award ranges from $798 – $3,150 for the 2020-21 academic year.
Talent Incentive Program (TIP)
  • Awarded to students who have exceptional financial need.
  • Must fall into at least one of the following categories:
    • Enrolled in a special academic support program.
    • First generation college student.
    • Educationally disadvantaged student.
    • Handicapped according to the Department of Workforce Development, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) or the Americans with Disabilities Act definition.
  • Must be first-time freshman for initial award.
  • A limited number of incoming freshman will be awarded the initial TIP grant based on the date of their completed FAFSA application.  First-time freshman who are not awarded an initial TIP grant should seek nomination by contacting their nearest Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Center.
  • Students who have previously received the TIP grant, have maintained eligibility, and have completed the FAFSA will continue to receive TIP funding.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • Award ranges from $600 – $1,800 per academic year.
Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)
  • State grant for undergraduate Wisconsin residents who don’t receive Wisconsin Grant.
  • FAFSA is required to determine eligibility.
  • Must have unmet need.
  • Award is based on state funding and requires at least half-time enrollment.
  • Second degree and EDCS students are eligible.
  • Maximum Award: $1,000
Lawton Scholars Grant

The Lawton Scholars Grant is administered by the Inclusive Excellence Center. Eligibility and program requirements include:

  • Wisconsin residents who are African-American, American Indian, Latino, and South-East Asian i.e. Hmong, citizens or descendent of Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam admitted to U.S. after December 31, 1975.
  • Have completed 24 credits and have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 at UWM.
  • Based on financial need.
  • Requires full-time enrollment per semester and completion of 24 credits per academic year.
  • A Lawton Qualtrics Agreement must be completed in which you agree to additional program requirements:
    • Take Econ 110 personal finance.
    • Meet with academic advisor as well as Success Advocate.
    • Participate in various programs/activities using UW Milwaukee PRIDE message as a guide.  Students are also encouraged to seek other options in personal interest areas.
    • Submit electronic Portfolio at the end of Spring semester documenting program/activity participation for the year.
    • Questions about the Lawton program requirements should be directed to Lawton Scholars.
  • Eligible students will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office.
  • Estimated award is offered and converted to an actual award once Qualtrics Agreement is completed.
  • Initial award is $2,000 per academic year, and may increase up to $4,000 based on GPA and funding levels.
  • Eligibility limited to 8 semesters.
  • A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 is required for renewal.
Wisconsin Indian Assistance Grant
  • Certified at least one-quarter American Indian by tribe.
  • Some money may be available for graduate students.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • At least half-time enrollment is required.
  • Maximum award is $1,100 per academic year.
  • Download the application here.
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Training Grant (DVR)
  • The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) provides employment services and counseling to people with disabilities.  This includes arranging for services to enable an individual to go to work, such as earning an education.
  • The amount of your training grant will depend on how much financial aid you receive.
  • Funding comes directly from DVR. For more information, contact your local DVR office – Local DVR Offices
  • Maximum award varies per academic year, please refer to your DVR counselor for the most current information.
Hearing and Visually Impaired Student Grant
  • Awarded to undergraduate students who have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment.
  • Based on financial need.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • Awards range from $250 – $1800 per academic year.
  • Download the application here.
Wisconsin Grants for Study Abroad

  • Enroll in a program leading to a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Based on financial need.
  • Full-time enrollment in the semester preceding a Winterim or Summer study abroad semester.
  • Requires student to submit application that is available from Center for International Education Department.
  • For UWM-sponsored study abroad programs only.
  • Maximum award $2000 per year, usually up to $1000 for one semester/session.
Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant (FFWS)
  • Graduated from a Wisconsin Public High School within last three years.
  • Wisconsin resident who attended a Wisconsin public school for four semesters just prior to high school graduation.
  • Enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree or certificate program.
  • Eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.
  • Have remaining unmet financial need.
  • May continue to receive FFWS grant for up to 10 consecutive semesters if eligibility is maintained, adequate academic progress is being made, and degree completion is expected.
  • Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) selects first-semester freshmen.
  • HEAB notification of new first-year recipients generally takes place by 1st week in October after fall semester begins.
  • Maximum Award: $4000 per academic year.

UWM Institutional Grants

Panther Grant

This grant program is available beginning with the 2020-21 Academic Year.

  • Need-based grant
  • Must be a first-time freshman in Fall 2020 or eligible bridge-required student starting in summer 2020.
  • Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program and attending main campus.
  • Must file the FAFSA by March 15 prior to the start of the fall semester and include UWM’s school code, 003896.
  • No later than April 15 prior to the start of the fall semester, make sure the Financial Aid Department has received any additional documentation required to determine eligibility.
  • Submit intent to enroll to the UW-Milwaukee Office of Admissions no later than May 1 prior to the fall term of enrollment.
  • Be enrolled at least full-time (12 or more credits) at the conclusion of the add/drop period each semester.
  • First year students who begin enrollment starting in the spring 2021 may also be eligible provided appropriate funding remains.
  • Must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant with an EFC of less than 5602.
  • Must be eligible for a Wisconsin Grant.
  • Must be a Wisconsin resident for tuition purposes.
  • Awards range from $250 to $1,500 based upon expected family contribution (EFC).
  • Eligibility limited to eight consecutive semesters (not available during the summer and winter terms) toward courses to earn a first Bachelor’s degree.
  • Renewable if all eligibility requirements above continue to be met.
  • Must continue to meet all other eligibility requirements for Federal Title IV and state of Wisconsin assistance, including Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • In rare cases, if a student takes a semester off due to medical reasons, a one-time exception may be made upon written request to the Director of Financial Aid.