Tuition Tax Credits and Deductions – Form 1098-T
The Internal Revenue Service Form 1098-T is available annually for the most recent tax year ending December 31. Beginning with the 2020 Tax Year, Form 1098-T will be available directly for download in PAWS in early January. Communications will be sent to your UW-Milwaukee email account in December and January with details on how to obtain your 1098T through PAWS. If you are unable to access your account or do not want to receive your 1098T form electronically, a copy will be mailed to your address on file postmarked by January 31.
Form 1098-T shows the total amounts paid for qualified tuition and fees for the previous tax year. You will need this form to claim educational expense tax credits. Students may view financial activity including payment details from their PAWS Student Center (Home page) Finances section. Click the drop-down box and select Account Activity. You can search by date and/or term.
You can also use our ‘Estimated Cost of Attendance’ document for the appropriate tax year if you want to claim expenses that are not on a 1098-T. The most recent years can be found on our Cost of Attendance page.
Important UWM-related information on Form 1098-T includes:
- Box 1. Total payments received by UW-Milwaukee for the tax year from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during the tax year that relate to those payments received.
- Box 4. Adjustments made by UW-Milwaukee for a prior year for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported on a prior year Form 1098-T.
- Box 5. Total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by UW-Milwaukee.
- Box 6. Adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year.
- Box 7. This box will be checked if Box 1 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January-March of the following tax year.
- Box 8. This box will be checked if you are considered to be carrying at least one-half the normal full-time workload for your course of study at UW-Milwaukee.
Prior to tax year 2018, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee reported the total amounts of qualified tuition and fees billed during the relevant tax year in Box 2 of Form 1098-T. Beginning with tax year 2018, we will no longer report total amounts billed for qualified tuition and fees. The total amount of payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses from all sources will be reported in Box 1.
The staff at UW-Milwaukee is unable to provide individual tax advice. Please consult a tax attorney, informed tax preparer, or adviser if you have specific questions related to tax preparation.
Please contact the Student Financial Service Center if you have questions concerning the amounts on your 1098-T Form.
Telephone: (414) 229-4541