Tax Treaties

U.S. Flag

There are many tax treaties between the United States and other countries. Such treaties may exempt earnings, scholarships, and stipends from taxes. Please note: In order to claim a tax treaty benefit you must have either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN).

Determining tax residency is important because it affects:

  • Tax treaty eligibility
  • Amount of tax withheld from payments made by the University.
  • Type of U.S. tax reporting documents to be received and filed.

◄ Return to Tax Information for Foreign Nationals