Tax Season

U.S. Flag

Please Note:

The Department of Human Resources provides this tax resource information to UW-Milwaukee’s foreign nationals, for informational and educational purposes only, and not as a substitute for advice obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax professional. Foreign nationals who have questions about their income tax situation should consult a qualified tax professional. Each person is responsible for the accuracy of their own income tax returns and any resulting penalties or interest.

Tax Deadlines

Tax season in the United States ranges from January 1 until April 18. If you worked or received a scholarship in the U.S. in the past calendar year, you must file both U.S. federal and Wisconsin state taxes. Even if you didn’t work, you must fill out a tax form called Form 8843.

Tax Preparation Assistance

To help guide you through the Federal tax filing process UWM offers web-based tax software called GLACIER Tax Prep designed exclusively for foreign nationals who are non-residents for tax purposes. It is a part of the GLACIER program and opens in late-February each year.

U.S. Federal Tax

Do I need to file anything if I didn’t earn income in the last calendar year?

Yes. All international students who were present in the U.S. during the past calendar year, even if they did not earn income, must fill out Form 8843.

Forms to File

If you are a non-resident who worked in the United States during the previous calendar year, please file the following forms:

  1. Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ
  2. Form 8843

If you are a non-resident who didn’t work, please file the following form:

  1. Form 8843

U.S. Federal Tax Information and Assistance

U.S. Federal Tax Information and Assistance

Wisconsin State Tax

You may be required to file a state income tax return for each state in which you resided and/or earned income during the calendar year. Please carefully read the instructions on the Wisconsin Department of Revenue website to determine whether you must file and which forms and additional requirements apply to you.

Wisconsin State Tax Information and Assistance

Wisconsin Department of Revenue

Tax Documents

If you were a student from the University:

You will receive a 1098-T via download in an email from the University’s Cashiers Office (Late January).

If you were working in a campus position from the University with no tax exemption treaty:

You will receive a W-2 statement from the University (January 31).

If you received a scholarship or fellowship not covered under a tax exemption treaty:

You will receive a Fellowship/Scholarship Letter (Mid February).

If you received a scholarship/fellowship from the University or wages that were covered under a tax exemption treaty:

You will receive Form 1042-S from the University in your GLACIER account (Late February).

Authorized off-campus employment:

You will receive a W-2 from the employer (January 31).

Interest earned on bank accounts:

You will receive a Form 1099-INT from the bank (January 31).

More Resources for Tax Information

◄ Return to Tax Information for Foreign Nationals