Invitation to Identify Disability and Veteran Status

Why is UWM asking employees to identify their disability and veteran status?

Because UWM receives funding from the federal government, UWM is considered a federal contractor. As a federal contractor, UWM must comply with federal affirmative action regulations that require UWM to collect and report demographic information regarding job applicants and employees. These same federal regulations require UWM to regularly provide its employees with the opportunity to self-identify as an individual with a disability and/or military veteran.

Where do I identify my disability and/or veteran status?

You may view or edit your veteran and disability status by clicking the “Veteran Status” and “Disability” tabs on the Update My Personal Information page in the My UW System portal. On this same page, you can also update your contact information, emergency contacts, and marital status.

Who has access to my information regarding disability and/or veteran status, and how is it used?

Individual information concerning disability and/or veteran status is treated as confidential employee information, and is used only for affirmative action reporting purposes. As such, individual information is only accessible by staff in UWM’s Office of Equity/Diversity Services (EDS) and by designated UWM Human Resources professionals.

What if I don’t want to provide this information?

While we encourage you to provide this information, as it aids UWM’s efforts to build and support a diverse workforce, your participation is completely voluntary and declining to participate will not subject you to any adverse employment action. There is also an option of “I don’t wish to answer” for disability status on the Update My Personal Information page.

Didn’t I already provide this information during onboarding for my position?

While you may have provided information about your disability and/or veteran status when you were hired, disability status can change over time, and data-entry errors sometimes happen when this information is provided. To ensure that it has the most accurate and current information, UWM is asking all employees to review—and update, if necessary—their disability and veteran status.

Can my status as an individual with a disability and/or veteran be used in making employment decisions?

No. This information is kept confidentially, and individual information will only be accessed by staff in EDS and designated Human Resources professionals. It will not be used as the basis for any employment decisions affecting you or in any other manner inconsistent with the law.

How do I know if I have a disability?

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), you are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition. Specific examples of disabilities can be found on the “Disability” tab of the Update My Personal Information page.

How do I know if I am a protected veteran?

The Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 (VEVRAA) outlines four categories of military veterans who are considered protected veterans:
• Disabled veteran
• Recently separated veteran
• Active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran
• Armed forces service medal veteran

More detailed definitions for each of these categories are available on the “Veteran Status” tab of the Update My Personal Information page.

Can I change my disability or veteran status in the future?

Yes. You can update your disability or veteran status at any time through the Update My Personal Information page.

How do I request a workplace accommodation if I have a disability?

Regardless of their classification as faculty, academic staff, or university staff, any UWM employee who has a disability may be eligible for reasonable accommodations in their position.

Because the needs of a particular employee and the accommodations they seek are unique and assessed on a case-by-case basis, any questions about accommodations should be directed to the HR Compliance Officer and ADA Coordinator, Kurt Hennemann, at, or (414) 229-5411.

If you are an employee in need of a leave of absence due to a medical condition, please consult the Personnel Representative for your School, College, or Division (PREP/UBR Directory), or the Family and Medical Leave Act Toolkit.

Who can I contact for more information about identifying my disability and/or veteran status?

If you have any questions or concerns about identifying your veteran or disability status, please contact the Office of Equity/Diversity Services at or 229-5923, or Human Resources at 229-4463.