This is the latest information on changes to UWM’s Digital Learning Environment which includes changes to Canvas, Kaltura (a.k.a. My Media), Zoom, and other services available in Canvas.
Updates are made regularly to bring new features, improve the user experience, and fix bugs. For each item, the change date is provided. Release Summaries are used to communicate planned updates for the given month and may include updates which occurred after the previous update.
No service maintenance is scheduled for these updates.
- August 16, 2021: Move to the UW System Zoom service
- External Tools
- August 2, 2021: UDOIT 3.0 added to Training and Development courses
Zoom: Move to the UW System Zoom service (August 16, 2021)
All UWM Zoom users have access to the UW System Zoom service, which is integrated with Canvas. It replaces Collaborate Ultra as the instructional synchronous communication tool. (Microsoft Teams should be used for administrative functions whenever possible, while Zoom should be used for instruction.)
- Before the change: UWM’s Zoom service was integrated in Canvas (via the “Zoom (UWM)” navigation link).
- After the change: All users will need to access Zoom via the “Zoom” navigation link in Canvas (preferred), or online at https://wisconsin-edu.zoom.us.
- How this affects teaching and learning: for people used to using Zoom, no significant changes are expected. For people transitioning from Collaborate Ultra to Zoom, training will be available, and support resources from Zoom are now available to aid in the transition.
People with Zoom accounts using their UWM email address (instructors, students, staff) will need to login to https://wisconsin-edu.zoom.us before attempting to use Zoom. Follow all prompts to either move your UWM account to the UWS Zoom service or change the email address associated with your account. Existing meetings and recordings should continue to function as expected.
Any recordings that were made in Collaborate Ultra are available in My Media. If recordings are missing, submit a ticket to Blackboard for assistance.
CETL will support the instructional use and application of Zoom. Campus Technology Support (CTS) will continue to support the use of Zoom for events and in-the-classroom. All people can also contact Zoom Premiere+ support directly by visiting the Zoom support site.
Zoom training opportunities for instructors are available via the CETL Workshop Registration website. In addition, Zoom offers on-demand video tutorials as well as live customer support and a large knowledgebase.
External Tools: UDOIT 3.0 added to Training and Development courses (August 2, 2021)
UDOIT 3.0 is available in the Training and Development Canvas area. This is the first stage of implementation. Training of how to use the new tool is being developed. UDOIT 3.0 will be implemented for the rest of Canvas during the Fall.
- Before the change: An older version of UDOIT was installed for Training and Development courses.
- After the change: UDOIT 3.0 is available which represents a significant change to the user experience.
- How this affects teaching and learning: This change is significant as it is the first step to enabling the tool for all Canvas users. Because of this change, training for UDOIT 3 can be developed and offered to UW System faculty and staff.
- Quizzes in the New Quizzes tool can be printed via the build page with or without answers. (August 18, 2021)
- Internet Explorer 11 support has ended. Users should transition to a supported browser. (July 27, 2021)
- When using the Desktop client for Windows or Mac OS, all chat channels use the same search box. (July 19, 2021)
- When using the Desktop client for Windows or Mac OS, emoji can be used in Chat (July 19, 2021)
- When using a desktop or mobile client, video files (MP4, M4V, MOV types) can be played in chat. Videos are transcoded, and files above 30MB in size are transferred like other files. (July 19, 2021)
- Desktop client support for Mac OS Yosemite (version 10.10) has ended. Yosemite users will be unable to upgrade their Zoom desktop clients. (July 27, 2021)
- When joining a recorded or live meeting in-progress, video will be turned-off, and the user’s microphone will be muted. The user will be prompted to consent. Once consent has been given, the user can choose to enable their camera and mic. (July 27, 2021)
- External Tools
- Piazza is changed from an Opt-in tool to a Special Request tool in-response to a change in licensing.
To learn more about updates, and to see how the changes may affect instructors’ and students’ work, refer to the release note links. Remember that some features may not be enabled for UWM or the UW System.