The declaration of major process varies depending upon where you are in your college career:
You are just starting the application process to UWM…
On your application for admission, indicate your interest in becoming a biological sciences or microbiology major. Your intended major will be reflected on your record and will allow us to provide you with news about scholarship opportunities, upcoming events, and other information that may be useful to you. Please note that an “intended major” does not replace a declaration of major. To declare a Biological Science or Microbiology major visit us during our open advising days or follow the steps outlined below.
You are a current UWM student and intended major in biological sciences or microbiology…
- Visit us in Lapham Hall S181 and pick up a Declaration of Major Form.
- Select a Departmental Advisor in your area of interest and set up an advising appointment.
- Take the Declaration of Major Form and an unofficial copy of your current transcript to your advising appointment.
- Return the signed form to Lapham Hall S181
Once you declare a major, make sure you meet regularly with your biology/microbiology advisor and your College of Letters & Science advisor to get advice on fulfilling the degree requirements.
You are a current UWM student but not in the College of Letters & Science…
Follow the steps above for students already in the College of Letters & Science PLUS one of the options below:
- If you intend to change your current UWM School/College and become a student in the College of Letters & Science, please complete the “Change of Program” Form and return it to your advisor.
- If you intend to add biology or microbiology as a second major but also keep your current major, inform your current advisor of your intentions.
Declaration of Minor
The process for declaration of the minor in biology is the same for everyone.
Pick up a Declaration of Minor form in Lapham Hall S181. Select a Departmental Advisor in your area of interest and set up an advising appointment. Take the Declaration of Minor Form and an unofficial copy of your current transcript to your advising appointment.
Return the signed form to Lapham Hall S181, and you will become a biology minor!