Search for new Associate Director of ACS Exams – updated priority deadline
The American Chemical Society, Division of Chemical Education, Examinations Institute (ACS Exams) is seeking a new Associate Director. The Associate Director will assist in test development, including working with exam committees, setting and editing trial and released tests, generating scoring reports and trial test statistics. The Associate Director will also assist in production exam support and new product development including generating test statistics and norming data. Finally, the Associate Director will assist in research activities including proposing and leading independent research projects, writing and submitting grant proposals, supervising and mentoring post-doctoral researchers, and disseminating research findings through presentations and manuscripts. ACS Exams is also potentially interested in candidates to fill two positions, one with expertise in test and new product development and another with expertise in research activities related to assessment.
Minimum qualifications for this position or these positions are:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemistry Education or a closely related field
- Tenure-track position in chemistry department or equivalent
- Experience with ACS Exams and the exam development process (this could include previous research experience, exam committee experience or the like)
Preferred qualifications for this position or these positions are:
- Previous research done in the area of Chemistry Education
- Post-Ph.D. training (in traditional post-doctoral fellowship, teaching post-doctoral or similar)
This is a continuous recruitment. Consideration of applications will begin on Thursday, December 1st, 2022, and continue until the position or positions are filled. Applications received after Wednesday, November 30th, 2022, may not receive consideration. A complete application will consist of a cover letter, curriculum vita, concise statement of research, and three letters of recommendation. All application materials should be submitted by e-mail to Kristen Murphy, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com.
New exams to be released this fall:
Through the exhaustive work of our exam committees, we are excited to announce not only the release of new exams this fall but also new components to be available with these new exams.
- Analytical Chemistry, 2022 (stock code: AN22)
- The newest exam available for the sophomore-level analytical chemistry course is available. In addition to this test, when you submit answer sheets to us for scoring, the score report available for this test will also include subscoring in key content areas (laboratory methods, data evaluation, equilibrium, spectroscopy, electrochemistry, and separations).
- Dual Enrollment, 2022 (stock code: DE22)
- This is an entirely new exam that has been built as two separate exams in one test booklet: one 40-item General Chemistry I exam and one 40-item General Chemistry II exam. These exams are designed for students taking a dual enrollment course. Because these exams were built from two existing exams, we are also releasing modeled norms with this test. These norms will be refined as the new sample of students populate the new dataset.
New exams to be released this spring:
More information will be available here in spring about our spring releases, but we do already know that we will be releasing (no later than March 1st):
- High School, 2023 (stock code: HS23)
- General Chemistry Conceptual, 1st term, 2nd term and full year (one booklet) 2023 (stock code: GC23C)
- Organic Chemistry, 2023 (stock code: OR23)
- Inorganic Chemistry, 2023 (stock code: IN23)
Also look for more information about the enhanced scoring and preliminary norms available for these products.
Several new norms have been published. These include General Chemistry-First Term 2018, Organic Chemistry 2017, Organic Chemistry-First Term 2017 and Organic Chemistry 2018.
Additionally, we expect to finalize norms soon on General-Organic-Biochemistry 2014 and General Chemistry Conceptual 2016 with new or updated preliminary norms available in throughout 2022 as well – the newest of these is Organic Chemistry 2020.
Please consider providing student performance data to us for norm calculations!
New Practice Exam with Feedback
We have been listening to your requests for a practice exam that provides instant feedback and results for each question. IT’S HERE – and you can purchase it NOW for $15.00 or through a bundle.
Tutorial practice exams are available for:
- General Chemistry, First Term
- Organic Chemistry, Full Year
Each exam has 50 items with feedback provided on each question. If a student is correct, they will be told so, but they also will be provided with the process to solve the question correctly (so they can compare to how they solved the problem). If the student is incorrect, they will be told so and be provided with possible difficulties they may have had, as well as how to solve the problem correctly.
All of this is then summarized in a report emailed to the student following exam submission. This summary includes for each question:
- The chapter and content from the ACS study guide
- The performance on the question
- The chapter and question number from the study guide of items that are the same as the question
- The chapter and question number from the study guide of items that are similar or use the same concept as the question
Visit here to purchase your practice exam today. For questions, please contact us at 800-854-1672.
Study materials available from ACS Exams
If you are preparing to take an ACS final exam, there are resources available from ACS Exams that may help you in your studying and preparation:
- General chemistry: study guide (first term/second term both included) and practice exams (first term and full year)
- Organic chemistry: study guide (first term/second term both included) and full year practice exams
- Analytical chemistry: practice exam
- Physical chemistry: study guide (both thermodynamics and quantum chemistry are included)
ACS Exams study materials are available year-round with study guides shipped directly to your home or campus and online practice exams available immediately after purchase. These include:
- Study guides with many items worked out and for practice,
- Online practice exams designed in a similar way to an ACS exam and provides you with a study report once completed, or
- A bundle of both the practice exam and study guide.
Your shipping options are (allowing 1 day for processing):
- Ground: 3-5 business days
- 2nd day: 2 business days
- Overnight: 1 business day
ACS Exams in the news:
Capturing the efforts by ACS Exams to deliver non-secure testing during the spring and summer semesters to assist institutions, Chemical and Engineering News (C&EN) wrote a short news piece detailing these efforts.
NEW – Organic Chemistry Study Guide
This second edition of the Organic Chemistry Study Guide has many more items, a clear alignment to first term/second term courses and common textbooks.
Become an ACS Exams Postdoctoral Fellow
The ACS Examinations Institute regularly seeks Postdoctoral Research Associate(s) for a full-time, 12-month position with benefits that can begin on or near August 1st annually. Applications are evaluated on or before May 1st annually. Click here for more information and application details.