Study materials available during COVID-19
If you are preparing to take an online final exam, there are resources available from ACS Exams that may help you in your studying and preparation:
- General chemistry: study guide (first term/second term both included) and practice exams (first term and full year)
- Organic chemistry: study guide (first term/second term both included) and full year practice exam
- Analytical chemistry: practice exam
- Physical chemistry: study guide (both thermodynamics and quantum chemistry are included)
ACS Exams study materials are available during COVID-19 and can be shipped directly to your home. These include:
- Study guides with many items worked out and for practice,
- Online practice exams designed in a similar way to an ACS exam and provides you with a study report once completed, or
- A bundle of both the practice exam and study guide.
Many of you are also asking if COVID-19 is affecting the availability or delivery of study guides. We are still processing and shipping study guide orders and have not experienced any delays.
Your shipping options are (allowing 1 day for processing):
- Ground: 3-5 business days
- 2nd day: 2 business days
- Overnight: 1 business day
ACS Exams in the news:
Capturing the efforts by ACS Exams to deliver non-secure testing during the spring and summer semesters to assist institutions, Chemical and Engineering News (C&EN) wrote a short news piece detailing these efforts.
ACS Exams and options for non-secure testing of general and organic chemistry:
We understand that many of you anticipate the need for a final exam delivered through a course management system, we have developed a testing option for general chemistry (first-term, second-term and full-year) and organic chemistry (first-term and full-year).
This set of items (one set for general chemistry and one set for organic chemistry) will be provided with semester, content area, and complexity (item difficulty), and the full sets will also be coupled with summary statistics that can assist instructors in deciding timing, number of items and comparable national statistics for:
- General Chemistry, First Term
- General Chemistry, Second Term
- General Chemistry, Full Year
- General Chemistry, Conceptual (First Term, Second Term and Full Year)
- General Chemistry Paired Questions (First Term and Second Term)
- Organic Chemistry, First Term
- Organic Chemistry, Full Year
This is not one of our secure tests but is built in a similar manner. If you are interested, please let us (email at firstname.lastname@example.org) know, and we can provide more details. These will be available starting April 15, 2020.
ACS Exams and the move by many institutions to online course delivery due to COVID-19:
We empathize with the faculty and staff who are affected by recent decisions by their institutions to move to alternate course delivery methods. This has been widely interpreted to be focused on online course delivery and would include course assessment. Therefore, this would then lead to the question of how to assess online.
All ACS Exams (active or inactive tests, either parts or whole) must be administered in a secured, proctored environment and cannot be administered via a course management or other exam delivery system site.
The extension of this is that all ACS Exams (active or inactive tests; either parts or whole) cannot be scanned, copied, transcribed or otherwise coded or written into any system designed to deliver courses (and course content including assessments) to students, which includes course management systems. Additionally, all ACS Exams (active or inactive tests; either parts or whole) must be administered in a secured, proctored environment. All ACS Exams (active or inactive tests; either parts or whole) cannot be administered to students in a remote capacity, which includes sending students tests, having students check out tests or providing a test to a non-approved proctor.
Any questions about security protocols for ACS Exams must be directed to ACS Exams Director, Kristen Murphy (email@example.com).
At ACS Exams, we do have the capacity and have been delivering exams online for more than seven years through our Metior system. There are specific requirements to gaining access for this use:
- Requirement 1: Students must use institution machines on site of the institution.
- Requirement 2: Exams must be given in a secured, proctored environment.
In the event, your institution has the ability to provide these testing requirements, please contact our Business Operations Manager, Julie Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org).
New to ACS Exams in 2020:
- Chemical Health and Safety
- NOW AVAILABLE: This test has been prepared for students completing organic chemistry laboratory.
- Second Edition of the Organic Chemistry Study Guide – available now
Several new norms have been published. These include Inorganic Chemistry Foundations (2016) and Instrumental Analysis Chemistry (2017). Coming soon General-Organic-Biochemistry 2014 and General Chemistry Conceptual 2016 with new or updated preliminary norms available in throughout 2020 as well.
Please consider providing student performance data to us for norm calculations!
NEW – Organic Chemistry Study Guide
This second edition of the Organic Chemistry Study Guide has many more items, a clear alignment to first term/second term courses and common textbooks.
Become an ACS Exams Postdoctoral Fellow
The ACS Examinations Institute regularly seeks Postdoctoral Research Associate(s) for a full-time, 12-month position with benefits that can begin on or near August 1st annually. Applications are evaluated on or before May 1st annually. Click here for more information and application details.