What is CITI training?
- Training on the rules, regulations, and ethical principles governing research involving human subjects
- A series of online modules and quizzes, which takes 3-4 hours total to complete
- Does NOT include HIPAA training. See the HIPAA Training Program website or contact the Office of Legal Affairs.
Who should complete CITI training?
- Required* for all Principal Investigators and Student Principal Investigators
- Strongly recommended for anyone interacting with research participants (consenting, recruiting, data collection, etc.).
* If you completed UWM’s Training Tutorial (pre-2010), you do not need to complete CITI training at this time. Check to see if your name is on the list: Completed human subjects training record (dated 7/20/2017).
How do I complete it?
- Visit the CITI training website.
- If you are already registered, either with a different institution or for the Graduate School’s Effort Reporting requirement, log in to your existing account. If your registration is with a different institution, you can add an affiliation to UWM (if applicable) from the Main Menu.
- If you are not registered, create an account. Click “Register” on the right side of the screen. In the box for Organization Affiliation, enter “University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee” and select it from the list.
- You will be prompted to choose either the Graduate School’s Effort Reporting Training or the IRB Human Subjects Training. Choose the IRB Training.
- There are four course options (Biomedical, Social-Behavioral, Biomedical & Social-Behavioral, and IRB Members). Choose the one that best fits the type of research you plan to conduct.
- Complete the training. A score of at least 80% is required before a completion report will be issued.
Do I have to do the training all at once?
No, your progress is saved. You can leave it and come back to it over hours, days, or even weeks.
What if I don’t get a high enough score?
You can review any module and retake the quiz until you get at least 80% overall score.
I forgot to print my completion report. What do I do?
You can log back in and print it anytime.
Who needs a copy of my completion report?
- Keep a copy for your own records.
- Some funding agencies or other IRBs will request documentation of completed CITI training.
- You do NOT need to send a copy to the UWM IRB unless it is specifically requested. We have access to all completion reports done through UWM.
I got an email from CITI saying my training has expired. What do I need to do?
We don’t currently require recertification, so you don’t have to do anything. However, it never hurts to brush up!
I’m not the PI or SPI. Is there another option for me?
The NIH’s human subjects research training tutorial is a shorter, more basic overview of human subjects research that can be appropriate for some research roles.
We would like to thank the Graduate School for allowing the IRB to use the CITI training program.