Wisconsin State Grants

To be eligible for Wisconsin state financial aid, a student must:

  • Be a resident of the state of Wisconsin
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent
  • Enroll in an undergraduate degree or certificate program
  • Attend a non-profit college or university based in Wisconsin
  • Register with the United States Selective Service System (SSS) if you are male https://www.sss.gov
  • Not be delinquent in payments of court-ordered child support and/or maintenance

The FAFSA needs to be completed in order to determine eligibility for need-based state financial aid programs. The FAFSA can be completed at www.fafsa.gov.

Wisconsin Grant
  • Based on financial need.
  • At least half-time enrollment.
  • Enrollment in a program leading to a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • Award ranges from $914 – $2,714 per academic year.
Talent Incentive Program (TIP)
  • Awarded to students who have exceptional financial need.
  • Must fall into at least one of the following categories:
    • Enrolled in a special academic support program.
    • First generation college student.
    • Educationally disadvantaged student.
    • Handicapped according to the Department of Workforce Development, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) or the Americans with Disabilities Act definition.
  • Must be first-time freshman for initial award.
  • A limited number of incoming freshman will be awarded the initial TIP grant based on the date of their completed FAFSA application.  First-time freshman who are not awarded an initial TIP grant should seek nomination by contacting their nearest Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Center.
  • Students who have previously received the TIP grant, have maintained eligibility, and have completed the FAFSA will continue to receive TIP funding.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • Award ranges from $600 – $1,800 per academic year.
Wisconsin Indian Grant
  • Certified at least one-quarter American Indian by your tribe.
  • Some money may be available for graduate students.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • At least half-time enrollment is required.
  • Maximum award is $1,100 per academic year.
  • Download the application here.
Lawton Scholars Grant

The Lawton Scholars Grant is administered by the Inclusive Excellence Center. Eligibility and program requirements include:

  • Wisconsin residents who are African-American, American Indian, Latino, and South-East Asian i.e. Hmong, citizens or descendent of Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam admitted to U.S. after December 31, 1975.
  • Have completed 24 credits and have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 at UWM.
  • Award based on financial need.
  • Requires full-time enrollment per semester and completion of 24 credits per academic year.
  • A Lawton Qualtrics Survey must be completed in which you agree to additional program requirements:
    • Take Econ 110 personal finance.
    • Complete one PRIDE survey per semester.
    • Meet with academic advisor as well as Success Advocate.
    • Participate in various programs/activities using UW Milwaukee PRIDE message as a guide.  Students are also encouraged to seek other options in personal interest areas.
    • Submit electronic Portfolio at the end of Spring semester documenting program/activity participation for the year.
    • Questions about the Lawton program requirements should be directed to Lawton Scholars.
  • Eligible students will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office.
  • Estimated award is offered and converted to an actual award once Qualtrics Survey is completed.
  • Initial award is $2,000 per academic year, and may increase up to $4,000 based on GPA and funding levels.
  • Eligibility limited to 8 semesters.
  • A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 is required for renewal.
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Training Grant (DVR)
  • The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) provides employment services and counseling to people with disabilities.  This includes arranging for services to enable an individual to go to work, such as earning an education.
  • The amount of your training grant will depend on how much financial aid you receive.
  • Funding comes directly from DVR. For more information, contact your local DVR office – Local DVR Offices
  • Maximum award varies per academic year, please refer to your DVR counselor for the most current information.
Hearing and Visually Handicapped Student Grant
  • Awarded to students who have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment.
  • Based on financial need.
  • Eligibility limited to 10 semesters.
  • Complete and submit application form to the Higher Educational Aids Board:
  • Awards range from $250 – $1800 per academic year.
Wisconsin Grants for Study Abroad
  • Enroll in a program leading to a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Demonstrate financial need.
  • Full-time enrollment in the semester preceding a Winterim or Summer study abroad semester.
  • Requires student to submit application that is available from Center for International Education Department.
  • For UWM-sponsored study abroad programs only.
  • Maximum award $2000 per year, usually up to $1000 for one semester/session.
Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)
  • State grant for undergraduate Wisconsin residents who don’t receive Wisconsin Grant.
  • FAFSA is required to determine eligibility.
  • Must have unmet need.
  • Award is based on state funding and awarded for half-time or better enrollment.
  • Limited to 12 semesters.
  • Second degree and EDCS students are eligible.
  • Maximum Award: $800
Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant (FFWS)
  • Graduated from a Wisconsin Public High School within last three years.
  • Wisconsin resident who attended a Wisconsin public school for four semesters just prior to high school graduation.
  • Enrolled full-time in an undergraduate degree or certificate program.
  • Eligible for a Federal Pell grant.
  • Have remaining unmet financial need.
  • May continue to receive FFWS grant for up to 10 consecutive semesters if eligibility is maintained, adequate academic progress is being made, and degree completion is expected.
  • Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB) will select first-semester freshmen.
  • HEAB notification of new first-year recipients generally takes place by 1st week in October after fall semester begins.
  • Maximum Award: $4000 per academic year.
Wisconsin Covenant

Each student who fulfills the Wisconsin Covenant pledge will be recognized as a Wisconsin Covenant Scholar. There are two Wisconsin Covenant grants.

  • The Wisconsin Covenant Scholars Grant is state-funded, awarded to every confirmed Wisconsin Covenant Scholar, and based on financial need as determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
  • The Wisconsin Covenant Foundation Grant is privately-funded by the Wisconsin Covenant Foundation and awarded only to confirmed Wisconsin Covenant Scholars with the highest financial need. All grant funding is subject to change annually.
  • The combination of the two grants will not exceed $2,500 per year. The minimum an eligible student will receive is $250.

Eligibility is based on the following:

  • Signed the Wisconsin Covenant pledge in 8th grade. The last cohort of students to be able to sign the pledge was in September, 2011.
  • Completed the pledge requirements.
  • Must have submitted the senior confirmation and FAFSA by April 1 preceding freshman year of college and be certified as eligible by the State of Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board (HEAB).
  • Must be a Wisconsin resident who graduated from a Wisconsin High School and is attending college in Wisconsin.
  • Must attend a college, technical school, or a university in the State of Wisconsin at least half-time.
  • Based on financial need.
  • No prior bachelor’s degree.
  • Recipients must maintain Satisfactory Academic Process (SAP) in order to continue to be eligible for either WI Covenant award.  Once a recipient becomes ineligible for SAP, they will not be eligible for the WI Covenant even in the event they receive an approved appeal for the ineligible SAP status.
  • A Wisconsin Covenant Scholar may receive the grant award for NO more than the equivalent of eight semesters.  The equivalent may include a combination of traditional semesters, summer terms or other measurements of an academic year.  The student is eligible for the grant only within five academic years of his or her high school graduation.