Associate Professor, Contemporary Art and Architecture
Mitchell Hall 147C
- PhD, University of California, Berkeley, Performance Studies, 2008
- Postgraduate Research Fellow, Oxford University (Lady Margaret Hall), 2001-03
- MA, University of Surrey, London: Art and Performance Theory, 2001
- BA, Brown University: English and American Literature (with honors), 1998
Research & Teaching Interests:
- Contemporary Art and Architecture in a global context
- Performance Studies, Theory, and Art
- Spatial and Urban Studies
- New Media Art, Virtual Architecture, and Digital Culture
- Bio-technology, Art, and Architecture
- Science and Technology Studies
- ArtHist 369: Post 1970s Art
- ArtHist 370: Trends in Contemporary Architecture
- ArtHist 472: The History and Theory of New Media Art
- ArtHist 473: Art and Performance
- ArtHist 703: Introduction to Museum Studies
- ArtHist 760: Alive: Living Architecture, Live Art, and Performance
- LiblSt 722: Special Topics in Contemporary Culture: Dwelling in Time and Place
Johung, Jennifer N. “Demonstrable Plasticity.” The Routledge Handbook to Biology in Art and Architecture. Routledge, (2017).
Johung, Jennifer N. “BioArt.” Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbook on Gender + Nature. Macmillan, (2016).
Johung, Jennifer N. “Speculative Life: Art, Synthetic Biology and Blueprints for the Unknown.” Theory, Culture, and Society 33.3 (2016): 175â188.
Johung, Jennifer N. “Choreographic Arrhythmias.” Leonardo 48.2 (2015).
Johung, Jennifer N., Dotan, Lital, and Perry, Eyal. “Weather Patterns: the smell of red.” 7 Invitations. (2014).
Johung, Jennifer N. “Vital Maintenance: The Tissue Culture and Art Project, and Infrastructures of Care.” Artlink. (2014).
, Johung, Jennifer N., and Sen, Arijit H. Landscapes of Mobility: Culture, Politics, and Placemaking. Ashgate Press, 2013.
Johung, Jennifer N., Wallace, Isabelle L., and Wendl, Nora. “Replacing the Hut:Dan Graham’s Two-Way Mirror Cylinder Inside Cube.” Contemporary Art About Architecture. Ashgate Press, (2013).
Johung, Jennifer N. Replacing Home: From Primordial Hut to Digital Network in Contemporary Art. University of Minnesota, 2011.
Johung, Jennifer N. “Sustainably Dependent: Bio-Architectural Living Spaces.” World Picture 5, 2011. (2011).
Lawrence Wilson Gallery, University of Western Australia
2014 Weather Patterns
Glasshouse gallery, Brooklyn, NY
2012 Replacing Home
JAUS gallery, Los Angeles, CA, January-March 2012