The mission of the UWM at Waukesha LGBTQIA Resource Center is to educate the campus and larger community on lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex and asexual/ally related issues to create a truly welcoming campus for LGBTQIA students.
With a goal of making the campus a safe learning environment for LGBTQIA students, the center is a model Safe Zone through the training of its staff, the development of its lending library, and the sharing of connections to campus and community resources. As part of this mission, the LGBTQIA Resource Center fosters allyship and advocacy among students, faculty and staff. The center coordinates relevant training, sponsors speakers and programs, and promotes collaborative faculty/staff-student research projects.
The LGBTQIA Resource Center is staffed by volunteers from the Pride Alliance club as well as the campus community. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the center’s co-directors.
We continue to build the LGBTQIA Resource Center’s lending library. Donations of academic and popular books dealing with LGBTQIA issues, queer fiction, coming-out books, films and informational pamphlets about services in the community are welcome.
The Pride Alliance is one of the largest and most active clubs at UWM at Waukesha. The club sponsors campus events that have included Pride Prom, movie nights, sex education seminars and spoken-word artists. We also attended the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference.
Pride Alliance Meetings: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 12 – 12:50 p.m.
Location: Room C158
Frequently Asked Questions
What does LGBTQIA stand for?
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Asexual/Ally
Who visits the center?
The center is open to anyone interested in finding out more about LGBTQIA issues.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re gay, straight, trans, cis or something in between.
What will I find at the center?
A safe space where you won’t be judged. The knowledgeable student staff members are there to talk with you about LGBTQIA issues and direct you to relevant resources. We have a small lending library of books and movies, as well as pamphlets and flyers.
- UWM’s LGBTQ+ Resource Center
- Gender neutral and inclusive bathrooms are marked with unisex bathroom signs and are available at the following locations:
- Northview (N102 & 104) – Second hallway on the left after you exit the library.
- Commons (C134) – Down the hallway across from the LGBTQIA Resource Center (marked with an exit sign) for C126-132 that leads to parking lot 2.
- Southview (S009 & S01)-Across from the faculty offices on the middle level of the building. (B7 & B9) – Follow the sign for the theatre scene shop in the basement level of the building.