The coordinated MSW and MPH degree program provides students with advanced, interdisciplinary education in public health and social work. Students acquire the knowledge and skills to address the effects of social, economic and health disparities on the well-being of individuals, families, groups, organizations and communities.
The public health lens of prevention at the population level and the social work lens of intervention at all levels of society are integrated through coursework and fieldwork, including an integrated public health/social work field experience. Students will be able to apply critical thinking and collaboration skills using a systems-based framework with a social justice focus in a range of public, private, and nonprofit settings.
Students in the coordinated MPH-MSW degree program complete public health and social work courses at the same time. They will choose one of two public health concentrations, MPH: Community and Behavioral Health Promotion or MPH: Public Health Policy, as well as a population to emphasize in their social work courses. The curriculum is available in the UWM Academic Catalog.
In addition to the Social Work field placement, students gain practical experience through a combined social work and public health internship.
Applications for Fall 2024 will be accepted starting Oct. 1, 2023. The deadline to apply is April 15.
- Students will be admitted to the MPH-MSW program in the fall semester only.
- Coordinated degree program students must be enrolled full-time and will complete the program in an average of three years.
- The total credits for the MPH-MSW coordinated program will be completed in both programs at the same time, rather than one program after the other.
- The coordinated program includes 48-49 credits in public health and for students with a BSW, 34 credits in social work.
- For students without a BSW or who otherwise need the social work foundation coursework, the MPH-MSW coordinated program will require the completion of 48-49 credits in public health and a total of 56 credits in social work.
- Applications for Fall 2024 will be accepted starting Oct. 1, 2023. The application is an online and automated process through the UW-Milwaukee Graduate School.
- The deadline to apply is April 15.