Unlock Endless Career Possibilities with Handshake
Handshake is UWM’s job search and career platform that helps students and recent graduates find both on and off-campus jobs and internships. Users can create job alerts to receive notifications about positions that match their preferences and attend virtual career fairs and events. Additionally, Handshake allows users to showcase their achievements on their profile to attract potential employers.
- Go to uwm.joinhandshake.com
- Click on University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Login
- Enter your UWM ePantherID and password
- Answer the preliminary questions to set your career plan preferences.
- We recommend completing your profile. Click on your name in the top right corner, then “My Profile”.
- Go to uwm.joinhandshake.com
- Click on “Sign up for an account” on the left side
- Click on the “Student/Alumni” button
- Select “Register for a new account”
- Complete the required information
- Click “Submit”
- Watch your email for a message from Handshake to verify your email address
- After verifying your email, please allow 2-3 business days for your account to be approved
Handshake, provides you the opportunity to enhance your brand and connect with UWM students and alumni.
Reach more students and increase your applicant pool by posting your on-campus job or internship on Handshake.
Get The Most Out Of Handshake
A robust public profile on Handshake expands job opportunities and increases engagement with potential employers, internships, and professional positions. With a user-friendly platform, students can showcase their skills and achievements, making them more attractive to recruiters and increasing their chances of landing their desired career path.
Add your career interests & skills
80% of students who complete the Career Interests and Skills sections are contacted by an interested employer, according to Handshake. Let employers know your strengths and the types of jobs you are seeking. Don’t be modest – own your skills!
Upload your photo & resume
Handshake helps job seekers boost their visibility to potential employers by automatically building their profile with information from their resume. Profiles with professional photos are 7 times more likely to be viewed by recruiters. With Handshake, users can easily upload a professional photo and increase their chances of being seen by recruiters.
Complete your profile
A complete updated profile makes you 5x more likely to be contacted by an employer.
- My Journey: Write a brief paragraph about your career interests, accomplishments, and goals.
- Work and Volunteer Experience: Use action verbs to highlight your job specific and transferable skills and accomplishments.
- Organizations and Extracurriculars: Include on and off campus involvement with descriptions demonstrating your skills and knowledge.
- Courses: List courses relevant to the jobs you are pursuing.
- Projects: Include class projects, writing samples, portfolio, thesis, journal publications, website creations, etc.
- Social Links: Link professional social media sites or an online portfolio i.e. LinkedIn, Instragram, etc. Do not share personal social media accounts.
Set up your privacy & notifications
- Make your profile public so employers can find you. Do this in the ‘Settings & Privacy’ section.
- Configure which notifications to receive and in what format.