Connect with your future at UWM’s career fairs – the first step towards a successful career.
Career fairs provide an excellent opportunity to connect with potential employers, learn about different industries, and explore potential career paths.
The Center for Student Experience and Talent hosts several career fairs throughout the year to facilitate connections between UWM students, alumni, and employers.
Upcoming Career Fairs
Prepare for a Career Fair
Attending a career fair at UWM is an excellent way to jumpstart your career, but it’s important to come prepared. Research the companies attending the fair and tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job positions you’re interested in. Dress professionally and bring copies of your resume to hand out.
- Identify and research attending organizations. Visit Handshake for a list.
- Have a well-written resume and bring multiple copies. Visit drop-in hours or request an appointment for a resume review.
- Plan what you will wear. Visit the Career Closet for free professional attire.
- Create and practice your elevator pitch. Include name, major, experiences, and information you are seeking.
- Practice and strengthen your interviewing skills with Big Interview.
- Pick up a career fair packet and name tag at the registration table.
- Seek out UWM staff for questions or if you are nervous.
- Introduce yourself with your elevator pitch and a handshake.
- Ask questions to gather information.
- Send emails to employers you want to follow up with. Thank them for their time, remind them of your conversation and express your interest.
- Meet with a Career Advisor during drop-in hours for assistance with your internship/job search.
- We highly recommend you complete your Handshake profile. Employers view profiles of students who register for their sessions.
- Be sure to set your profile visibility to Community in the Settings and Privacy Section so employers can engage with you during the fair.
Register for the Fair
Access the specific registration link for a fair by clicking the name of the fair in the event listing above.
Sign-Up for Employer Sessions
Sign-up as soon as possible, however, check back regularly as employers may add sessions closer to the day of the fair.
Two types of employer sessions:
- 10-minute one-on-one sessions: Only you and the employer. Be prepared for your session – research the company, craft an elevator pitch, reflect on skills to talk about, and have questions to ask the employer.
- 30-minute group sessions: Employers present on their organization and career opportunities. You can ask questions during these sessions.
Handshake uses Twilio software to support audio and visual capabilities for the virtual fair. Use Twilio Network Test to test the device you plan to use the day of the fair to ensure it will work properly with the software.
Before the Fair
- Research companies that you have scheduled sessions with.
- Craft and practice your elevator pitch and update your resume.
- Identify questions to ask the employer.
- Determine what to wear – professional attire recommended! Visit the Career Closet for Free professional attire!
- Set the scene. Your backdrop should be clean and professional, the lighting appropriate, and the environment distraction-free. Do a test video call with a friend!