- Associate Professor Emerita, Kinesiology
- PhD, University of California-Berkeley
- MA, Stanford University
- BA, California State University-Chico
Interests & Expertise
Erika Sander retired in 2008, but had a long career at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM). She started in 1970 as an assistant professor in the School of Education (Department of Physical Education). The Department moved to the College of Health Sciences (then called School of Allied Health Professions) in 1977, at which time it was renamed the Department of Human Kinetics (or Kinesiology today).
Over her long career, she taught primarily in the areas of Motor Development and Applied Statistics. Earlier in her career, she also provided professional consultation and workshops on the various aspects of Title IX (Gender Equity) in both Physical Education and Athletics.
In the early 1980’s, Sander moved into academic administration as the chair of the Department for a span of 10 years, with one year as interim dean of the College in the early 1980’s. During that time, she became involved in campus-level faculty governance, serving on the UWM Faculty Senate and its executive committee, the University Committee, for a number of terms. Beginning in 1994, she served as Assistant Vice Chancellor for Personnel, for seven years. During the latter three years, she was also the Interim Director of Human Resources.
Returning to academic life in 2001, she devoted her latter years to teaching, mentoring younger faculty, especially in governance and teaching roles. Teaching at all levels (introductory undergraduate through doctoral courses) gave her an opportunity to draw upon her career experiences, academic and administrative.
Now in retirement, Sander continues to informally provide support and/or mentoring in faculty/shared governance matters, serve on the UWM ADA Advisory Committee, and provide internet/web support for the UWM Retirees Association.
Honors & Awards
- Ernest Spaights Plaza Honoree, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2016
- Faculty Service Award, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 2003
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Service, College of Health Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1994
- R R Schreiber Distinguished Service Award, Phi Epsilon Kappa Fraternity (Milwaukee Alumni Chapter), 1991
- Athletic Hall of Fame Special Recognition Award (for contributions to UWM Women’s Athletics), University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, 1990
- Wisconsin Women’s Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Special Service Award, 1981