Child Abuse/Neglect Reporting Guidelines Under Executive Order #54
The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee strives to provide a safe and secure learning and working environment for everyone involved in university activities. Children come in contact with UWM employees through various programs, camps, and events. In 2011 the Governor signed Executive Order #54, which requires that all University of Wisconsin System employees must report incidents of child abuse and neglect.
Training is through the Wisconsin Child Welfare Professional Development System website
All University of Wisconsin System (UWS) employees (this includes all UWM employees regardless of appointment type or method of compensation) must immediately report child abuse or neglect if, in the course of employment, a UWS employee:
- Observes an incident or threat of child abuse or neglect, or
- Learns of an incident of threat of child abuse or neglect and has reasonable cause to believe that child abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur
Any suspected abuse (physical, sexual, emotional, or the manufacture of methamphetamine) or neglect of any person under 18 years of age must be reported to local law enforcement or a county social services agency.
- Do not delay making a report in order to gather evidence; the agency to whom you make the report will determine whether such an investigation is warranted.
- It is acceptable to quickly collect additional information that is readily available (such as talking to coworkers who also interact with that child) or to verify that the information learned meets criteria for reporting, but this must be done promptly.
- It is better to report without all relevant information than to delay a report to collect information.
Contact local law enforcement or a county social services agency:
- Emergency: 9-911 from campus phone, or 911 off campus
- UWM Police: (414) 229-4627 (non-emergency)
- Milwaukee Police: (414) 933-4444 (non-emergency)
- Bureau of Milwaukee Child Welfare: (414) 220-SAFE (7233)
What more should I know?
- You are protected from liability if you make a report in good faith.
- If the abuse or neglect occurs in connection with a UWM activity or at UWM, you must also report it to a Dean, Director, or Division Head (you may seek assistance from a supervisor).