Grants are gift aid and, in most cases, do not have to be repaid if the enrollment period is completed. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed each academic year to be considered for most grants. Most grants also require a student to be an undergraduate seeking a first degree and attending at least half-time. Review additional eligibility requirements.

See individual grant descriptions below.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

  • Free funding offered to undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need and have not earned a bachelor’s degree.
  • Amount is based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the FAFSA results. Effective with the 2024-25 academic year, a Student Aid Index (SAI) will replace the EFC. The SAI, and poverty guidelines, will be used to determine eligibility. The amount is prorated if enrolled in less than 12 credits each semester.
  • May be eligible for a partial grant if enrolled in less than six credits.
  • Eligibility is limited to 12 full-time semesters (or the equivalent).
  • Students who have received full-time Pell for the Fall and Spring terms and enroll in at least 6 credits for the summer term may have additional Pell eligibility. Effective Summer 2025, students are not required to be enrolled in at least six credits to receive additional Pell Grant funds for a summer term.

Find more information on Pell Grants at:

Special Rule for Federal Pell Grants

Effective with the 2024-25 award year, the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (ISAG) and the Children of Fallen Heroes (CFH) Scholarship are being replaced with Pell Grant eligibility for Dependents of Deceased Service Members and Safety Officers. Students who meet the eligibility requirements below will receive the maximum Pell Grant regardless of their calculated Student Aid Index (SAI):

  • Under 33 years old as of January 1 of the year prior to the start of the school year (i.e. January 1, 2024 for the 2024-25 school year).
  • Parent or guardian died in the line of duty while either
    • serving on active duty as a member of the U.S. Armed Forces on or after September 11, 2001; or
    • actively serving as and performing the duties of a public safety officer.
  • Meets the remaining Federal Pell Grant eligibility requirements.

Students who answer yes to the parent killed in the line of duty question on the FAFSA, will need to complete a Line of Duty Death Pell Eligibility Form found under miscellaneous forms here.        

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

  • Must be eligible for a maximum Federal Pell Grant and have a negative SAI to be considered for this grant.
  • Funds are limited. Students should apply as soon as October 1 before the upcoming fall semester.
  • Maximum amount: $1,000 per academic year.
  • The amount may be reduced for less than full-time enrollment.

Find more information on FSEOG Grants at:

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)

  • Enroll in an undergraduate or graduate program of study that will lead to a teaching degree.
    • Students enrolled in a Post-Baccalaureate program are not eligible at UWM.
    • Students enrolled in the combined Masters/ Post-Baccalaureate program are not eligible while enrolled at the Post-Baccalaureate level but become eligible while in the Master’s program.
  • Plan to take coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching.
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25.
  • Does not have to demonstrate financial need but must submit a FAFSA.
  • Must sign an agreement to serve in high-need field areas e.g. bilingual education and English language acquisition, foreign languages, mathematics, reading, science, library and information science, and special education; and teach in schools designated as serving low-income students.
  • If program criteria are met, complete the TEACH Grant Initial and Subsequent Counseling and the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve or Repay. The university will contact the student regarding eligibility and any additional counseling requirements.
  • For more information about eligibility, contact Michaela Kaiser from the School of Education, Office of Student Services at (414) 251-8626;
  • This grant becomes a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan if the service obligation (teaching full-time in a high-need area and serving low-income students for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing your program) is not fulfilled. Students would then need to repay the funds with interest added from the date the grant was disbursed.

Find more information on grant amounts and TEACH at:

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant

Eligibility requirements vary by tribe. Please consult your tribe for their specific requirements. Some common requirements are:

  • Certified one-quarter American Indian by your tribe.
  • Be enrolled at least half-time.
  • Submit an Indian scholarship application to your tribe.
  • Renewable for up to five years.
  • Send a grade report or official transcript to your tribe each semester to retain consideration for eligibility.
  • Maximum amount for an academic year varies by tribe and ranges from $1,200 to $30,000 per year.

Federal AmeriCorps Segal Education Award

AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs, made up of three primary programs that each take a different approach to improving lives and fostering civic engagement. Members commit their time to address critical community needs like increasing academic achievement, mentoring youth, fighting poverty, sustaining national parks, preparing for disasters, and more. One of the primary programs is the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award. This is a post-service benefit earned by individuals who complete an approved term of national service in AmeriCorps programs. There are two ways in which to utilize a Segal Education Award.

  1. The funds may be used to pay current or past educational expenses at eligible post-secondary institutions. This type of request is administered by UWM Student Financial Services which is located in Mellencamp Hall Room 162. All funding approved before the start of a given term will arrive approximately two weeks into the term, as required by AmeriCorps program rules.
  2. The funds may also be used to repay qualified student loans. This type of request is administered by the UWM Office of Student Accounts which is located in Mellencamp Hall Room 110.

If you would like more information about how to get involved with AmeriCorps you may visit for more information.

If you would like to utilize a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award at UW-Milwaukee, you may submit your request via the MyAmericorps portal.

Other important information regarding eligibility:

  • A FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is not required to receive AmeriCorps.
  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) does not impact AmeriCorps.
  • The AmeriCorps Service date has to be before the term requested and you must be enrolled in at least 1 credit (not audited) in the current semester for us to certify for AmeriCorps. 
  • UW-Milwaukee is NOT a university involved in the AmeriCorpsService Matching Program.

Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs Grant (Gear Up)

The Gear Up Grant is administered by the Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Program (WEOP) agency. Eligible students are identified by WEOP, and eligibility is confirmed by the Office of Financial Aid Administration. To confirm eligibility, students must complete a FAFSA and submit any required additional forms. Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to remain eligible for this grant.

Gear Up Processing Timeframe

Continuing Gear Up recipients can expect to see their grant on PAWS toward the end of November, with funds disbursing in December.
New Gear Up recipients will see their grant posted later, usually in December, with their funds disbursing by the end of January.

Wisconsin State Grants

To be eligible for financial aid from the State of Wisconsin, a student must:

  • Be a resident of the state of Wisconsin.
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
  • Enroll in an undergraduate degree or certificate program.
  • Attend a non-profit college or university based in Wisconsin.
  • Not be delinquent in payments of court-ordered child support and/or maintenance.

The FAFSA needs to be completed to determine eligibility for need-based state financial aid programs.

Wisconsin Grant

  • Based on financial need.
  • Requires at least half-time enrollment.
  • Enrollment in a program leading to a first bachelor’s degree.
  • Eligibility is limited to 10 semesters.
  • Amounts range from $1,000 – $4,000 for the 2024-25 academic year.

Talent Incentive Program (TIP)

  • Offered to students who have exceptional financial need.
  • Must fall into at least one of the following categories:
    • Enrolled in a special academic support program.
    • First-generation college student.
    • Educationally disadvantaged student.
    • Handicapped according to the Department of Workforce Development, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) or the Americans with Disabilities Act definition.
  • Must be a first-time freshman for an initial offer.
  • A limited number of incoming freshmen will be offered an initial TIP Grant based on the date of their completed FAFSA application. First-time freshmen who are not offered an initial TIP Grant should seek nomination by contacting their nearest Wisconsin Educational Opportunity Center.
  • Students who have previously received a TIP Grant, maintained eligibility, and completed a FAFSA will continue to receive TIP funding.
  • Eligibility is limited to 10 semesters.
  • Amount ranges from $600 – $1,800 per academic year.

Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG)

  • A FAFSA is required to determine eligibility.
  • Must have unmet need.
  • The amount is based on state funding and requires at least half-time enrollment.
  • Second-degree and EDCS students are eligible.
  • Maximum amount: $1,500

Lawton Scholars Grant

The Lawton Scholars Grant is administered by the First-Generation+ Resource Center. Eligibility and program requirements include:

  • Wisconsin residents who are African-American, American Indian, Latino, and South-East Asian i.e. Hmong, citizens or descendants of Laos, Cambodia, or Vietnam admitted to the U.S. after December 31, 1975.
  • Have completed 24 credits and have a cumulative GPA of 2.25 at UWM.
  • Based on financial need.
  • Requires full-time enrollment per semester and completion of 24 credits per academic year.
  • A Lawton Qualtrics Agreement must be completed in which you agree to additional program requirements:
    • Take Econ 110 Personal Finance, a one-credit, seven-week course. Other courses may be substituted for ECON 110 with the approval of the Lawton Appeal Committee.
    • Meet with your academic advisor as well as a Success Advocate.
    • Participate in various programs/activities using UW Milwaukee PRIDE message as a guide. Students are also encouraged to seek other options in personal interest areas.
    • Submit an electronic Portfolio at the end of the Spring semester documenting program/activity participation for the year.
    • Questions about the Lawton program requirements should be directed to Lawton Scholars.
  • Eligible students will be contacted by the Student Financial Service Center.
  • An estimated amount is offered and then converted to an actual amount once the Qualtrics Agreement is completed.
  • The initial amount is $2,500 per academic year and may increase up to $4,000 based on GPA and funding levels.
  • Eligibility is limited to 8 semesters.
  • A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 is required for renewal.

Wisconsin Indian Student Assistance Grant

  • Certified at least one-quarter American Indian by the tribe.
  • Limited funding may be available for graduate students.
  • Eligibility is limited to 10 semesters.
  • At least half-time enrollment is required.
  • The maximum amount is $1,100 per academic year.
  • Applications for new and continuing students can be located on the HEAB (Wisconsin Higher Education Aids Board) website.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Training Grant (DVR)

  • The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) provides employment services and counseling to people with disabilities. This includes arranging for services to enable an individual to find employment, which may involve earning an education. For more information, contact your local DVR office.
  • A FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is required to receive any DVR funds.
  • The amount of your training grant will be determined by DVR using the information provided by UWM including enrollment level, financial aid, and costs associated with attending school for a specific term. The information provided to DVR will be based on census date enrollment. All information is exchanged between the school and DVR via the DVR Portal. 
  • Funding comes directly to UWM from DVR only after census date enrollment confirmation is completed and a purchase order has been submitted by your DVR counselor. This means funding will be delayed several weeks into any given term. Please budget accordingly. 
  • The maximum amount varies per academic year, please refer to your DVR counselor for the most current information.

Hearing and Visually Impaired Student Grant

  • Offered to undergraduate students who have a severe or profound hearing or visual impairment.
  • Based on financial need.
  • Eligibility is limited to 10 semesters.
  • Amounts range from $250 – $1,800 per academic year.
  • Download the application here.

Wisconsin Grants for Study Abroad

  • Enroll in a UWM Associate’s or first Bachelor’s degree program.
  • Based on financial need.
  • For UWM-sponsored study abroad programs only.
  • Requires full-time enrollment in the preceding semester to qualify for a Summer or UWinteriM award (Academic Opportunity Center students must be enrolled for 9+ credits during the fall/spring term).
  • Requires enrollment in at least 6 credits by April 30 (includes on-campus credits as well as any study abroad credits) during the summer term to qualify for a summer award.
  • The maximum amount is $2000 per year, usually up to $1000 for one semester/session.
  • Requires the student to submit an application that is available from the UWM Center for International Education

Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Grant and Fund for Wisconsin Scholars Transfer Grant (FFWS)

  • Graduated from a Wisconsin Public High School within the last three years.
  • Wisconsin resident who attended a Wisconsin public school for four semesters just prior to high school graduation.
  • Enrolled full-time in-person in an undergraduate degree or certificate program.
  • Eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.
  • Have remaining unmet financial need.
  • May continue to receive FFWS Grant for up to 10 consecutive semesters (8 consecutive semesters if awarded as a first-semester transfer student) if eligibility is maintained, adequate academic progress is being made, and degree completion is expected.
  • University of Wisconsin System Administration (UWSA) selects first-semester freshmen and first-semester transfer students who transferred directly from a WI Technical College System Campus or UW Branch Campus with a minimum of 24 credits earned at the technical college and/or branch campus and accepted by the UW four-year campus.
  • Notification to new first-year recipients generally takes place by the 1st week of October after the fall semester begins.
  • Maximum Amount: $4,500 per academic year.

UWM Special Programs

Milwaukee Tuition Promise

The Milwaukee Tuition Promise aims to increase the number of Wisconsin residents who graduate with a bachelor’s degree – especially first-generation students and those from low-to-moderate income households. This will improve lives and help meet the state’s workforce needs.

UWM is thankful for the generosity of donors and private funding sources who are enabling the continuation of the tuition promise for students entering UWM in the 2024-25 academic year.

Visit the Milwaukee Tuition Promise webpage to see what’s covered and the eligibility requirements.

Wisconsin Tuition Promise

The Wisconsin Tuition Promise is an initiative created by the Universities of Wisconsin to ensure underserved Wisconsin students can attend any UW without paying tuition or fees.

The Wisconsin Tuition Promise provides up to four years of tuition and fee funding for undergraduate students from families earning less than $62,000 annually and enrolling at the 12 public universities other than UW-Madison in fall 2023 for spring 2024. Visit the UW webpage for more information on the Wisconsin Tuition Promise.

**New & Transfer Students who begin enrollment with the Fall 2024 semester will be considered for the Milwaukee Tuition Promise which will replace the Wisconsin Tuition Promise (see above).

Panther Grant

Grant program available beginning with the 2020-21 Academic Year (fall 2020). The last term new awards will be offered is spring 2024. Awards previously made will continue to be honored as long as the eligibility criteria continue to be met.

  • Need-based grant
  • Must be a first-time freshman in Fall 2020 and no later than spring 2024. Bridge-required students starting in summer 2020 and no later than summer 2023 would also be eligible.
  • Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program and attending the main campus.
  • Must file the FAFSA by March 15 before the start of the fall semester and include UWM’s school code, 003896.
  • No later than April 15 before the start of the fall semester, make sure the Office of Financial Aid Administration has received any additional documentation required to determine eligibility.
  • Submit intent to enroll to the UW-Milwaukee Office of Undergraduate Admissions no later than May 1 before the fall term of enrollment.
  • Be enrolled at least full-time (12 or more credits) as of the census date (generally two weeks following the term) each semester.
  • First-year students who begin enrollment in the spring of 2021 and no later than spring 2024 may also be eligible provided appropriate funding remains.
  • Must be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant with an EFC of less than 5602 or equivalent Student Aid Index (starting fall 2024).
  • Must be eligible for a Wisconsin Grant.
  • Must be a Wisconsin resident for tuition purposes.
  • Amounts range from $250 to $1,500 based upon expected family contribution (EFC) or Student Aid Index (starting fall 2024).
  • Eligibility is limited to eight consecutive semesters (not available during the summer and winter terms) toward courses to earn a first Bachelor’s degree.
  • Renewable if all eligibility requirements above continue to be met.
  • Must continue to meet all other eligibility requirements for Federal Title IV and State of Wisconsin assistance, including Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • In rare cases, if a student takes a semester off due to medical reasons, a one-time exception may be made upon written request to the Director of Financial Aid.