The newly-renovated space is a state-of-the-art facility with 2,400 sq. ft. of exhibition space and additional storage space to house the ever-expanding UWM Art Collection. The Gallery was constructed with a multi-million dollar donation from art connoisseur, collector and dealer, the late Emile H. Mathis II. The inaugural exhibit, Legacies: ReVisioning the UWM Art Collection, will feature several prominent works of art from the collection including:
- Edgar Degas, Dancer, c. 1880
- Rembrandt van Rijn, Self Portrait in Velvet Cap with Plume, 1638
- Pablo Picasso, Still Life with Caged Owl, 1947
- Georges Braque, Still Life with Music, 1962
- Joan Miró, Woman and Bird in the Night, 1944
Other notable artists featured in the exhibition include Pierre Auguste Renoir, Robert Rauschenberg, Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Jim Dine, Christo, and James Abbott McNeill Whistler.
5:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Mitchell Hall, Room 170