Handshake is UWM’s comprehensive employment platform where students, employers, and alumni share career information, events, and job opportunities.
Already have a Handshake Account? Log in here!
What can you do with Handshake?
- Locate Jobs & Internships: Search and apply for on and off-campus opportunities
- Create Job Alerts: Get notified of positions matching your preferences
- Find Virtual Events: Attend career fairs and career-related events
- Get Discovered: Showcase your accomplishments in your profile to attract employers
- Go to uwm.joinhandshake.com
- Click on University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 1Login
- Enter your UWM epantherID and password
- Answer the preliminary questions to set your career plan preferences.
- We recommend completing your profile. Click on your name in the top right corner, then “My Profile”.
- Go to uwm.joinhandshake.com
- Click on “Sign up for an account” on the left side
- Click on the “Student/Alumni” button
- Select “Register for a new account”
- Complete the required information
- Click “Submit”
- Watch your email for a message from Handshake to verify your email address
- After verifying your email, please allow 2-3 business days for your account to be approved
Handshake, provides you the opportunity to enhance your brand and connect with UWM students and alumni. On Handshake your position is visible to UWM’s 28,000 students and 150,000 alumni, and it is free for employers!
Please visit Post a Job/Internship to get started.
Staff & Faculty
Reach more students and increase your applicant pool by posting your on-campus job or internship on Handshake.
Get The Most Out Of Handshake
Creating a robust, public profile allows you to expand your opportunities for engagement, jobs, internships, and professional positions after graduation.
Step 1: Add Your Career Interests and Skills
80% of students who complete these two sections are contacted by an interested employer, according to Handshake. Let employers know your strengths and the types of jobs you are seeking. Don’t be modest – own your skills!
Step 2: Upload Your Photo & Resume
- Profiles with professional photos are 7x more likely to be viewed by employers.
- Handshake will begin to build your profile based on your resume.
Step 3: Complete Your Profile
A complete updated profile makes you 5x more likely to be contacted by an employer.
- My Journey: Write a brief paragraph about your career interests, accomplishments, and goals.
- Work and Volunteer Experience: Use action verbs to highlight your job specific and transferable skills and accomplishments.
- Organizations and Extracurriculars: Include on and off campus involvement with descriptions demonstrating your skills and knowledge.
- Courses: List courses relevant to the jobs you are pursuing.
- Projects: Include class projects, writing samples, portfolio, thesis, journal publications, website creations, etc.
- Social Links: Link professional social media sites or an online portfolio i.e. LinkedIn, Instragram, etc. Do not share personal social media accounts.
Step 4: Set Up Your Privacy and Notifications
- Make your profile public so employers can find you. Do this in the Settings & Privacy section.
- If you participate in a virtual career fair group session, you MUST set your profile visibility to Community.
- Configure which notifications to receive and in what format. Allow notifications for career events to stay up-to-date on CPaRC career fairs, employer information sessions, etc.