Career and Internship Fairs
There are no upcoming events at this time.
In-Person Career Fair Prep
- Identify and research attending organizations. Visit Handshake for a list.
- Have a well-written resume and bring multiple copies. Visit CPaRC Walk-in Hours or request an appointment for a resume review.
- Plan what you will wear. Visit the CPaRC Career Closet for free professional attire.
- Create and practice your elevator pitch. Include name, major, experiences, and information you are seeking.
- Practice and strengthen your interviewing skills with BigInterview.
Elevator Pitch Example: “Hi, my name is Linda Lee. I’m graduating in May with a psychology degree. This summer I was a marketing intern at XYZ where I assisted with client support and building their social media presence. I’m currently looking for an opportunity in one or both of these areas.”
- Pick up a career fair packet and name tag at the registration table.
- Seek out UWM staff for questions or if you are nervous.
- Introduce yourself with your elevator pitch and a handshake.
- Ask questions to gather information. Sample questions to ask employers.
- Send emails to employers you want to follow up with. Thank them for their time, remind them of your conversation and express your interest.
- Meet with a CPaRC Career Advisor during Walk-in Hours for assistance with your internship/job search.
Virtual Career Fair Prep
- We highly recommend you complete your Handshake profile. Employers view profiles of students who register for their sessions.
- Be sure to set your profile visibility to Community in the Settings and Privacy Section so employers can engage with you during the fair.
Register for the Fair
Access the specific registration link for a fair by clicking the name of the fair in the event listing above.
Sign-Up for Employer Sessions
Sign-up as soon as possible, however, check back regularly as employers may add sessions closer to the day of the fair.
Two types of employer sessions:
- 10-minute one-on-one sessions: Only you and the employer. Be prepared for your session – research the company, craft an elevator pitch, reflect on skills to talk about, and have questions to ask the employer.
- 30-minute group sessions: Employers present on their organization and career opportunities. You can ask questions during these sessions.
- Research companies that you have scheduled sessions with.
- Craft and practice your elevator pitch and update your resume.
- Identify questions to ask the employer.
- Determine what to wear – professional attire recommended!
- Set the scene. Your backdrop should be clean and professional, the lighting appropriate, and the environment distraction-free. Do a test video call with a friend!