It’s important to complete at least one internship during your college career to build skills in your desired field. Below are some first steps.
- Speak with advisors and faculty in your major to learn about the support they provide for finding an internship and options for doing an internship for class credit.
- Watch Handshake regularly for internships posted by employers specifically looking for UWM students.
- Attend career fairs to speak with employers hiring for internships.
- Use various keywords to search for internships on Google, Indeed, and LinkedIn.
- Network! Speak with professionals in your field and current and past students to learn about internship opportunities.
- Use LinkedIn alumni search. Search for alumni in your field and view their profiles to see internships they held. LinkedIn is also a great way to connect with these individuals for advice
Schedule an appointment with a CPaRC career advisor for more ideas and support with resume writing and interviewing.