The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics trains you in the newly-emerging and rapidly-evolving field of Laboratory Medicine.
- Coursework includes lecture and laboratory courses that focus on application and preparation for the nationally-recognized certification exam (American Society for Clinical Pathology-Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC) Molecular Biology, MB(ASCP)).
- The Certificate is available to returning, non-degree students who want additional credentials in Molecular Diagnostics for career development/enhancement.
- UWM’s College of Health Sciences is widely known for excellence in education, innovative cutting-edge research, and community-engaged learning and service.
What can I do with a Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics?
UWM’s Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics will give you a solid foundation and basic skills necessary for professional employment in Molecular Diagnostic Programs, preparing you to work in a variety of settings, including:
- University and hospital laboratories
- New test Research & Development applications
- Biotechnology industries
- Serving the molecular diagnostics communities
To apply to the Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics, please email the CHS Office of Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to new federal financial aid regulations, beginning with the summer 2017 term, students who had not previously been awarded federal financial aid at UWM and are enrolled in a stand-alone certificate program will no longer be eligible for federal Title IV aid. Students in a stand-alone certificate who are seeking financial assistance may be eligible for private loans. Private loans are not guaranteed as they are subject to lender approval including a credit check.
Upon applying for the loan of your choice and being approved, the UWM Financial Aid Office will be notified by the lender to provide enrollment information. At such time the loan will be added to your financial aid award.
The Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics is designed to augment the basic education and skills of students currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biomedical Sciences or Biological Sciences. With minimal additional courses, you will be able to complete the Certificate in Molecular Diagnostics.
Although flexibility is built into this certificate program, you will be expected to have basic knowledge of microbiology and genetics and at least one advanced laboratory course (500 level or above) to qualify for the Molecular Diagnostics Certificate.
A total of 17 – 20 credits are required to obtain the Certificate and you must earn at least a 2.50 GPA in the courses listed below.
|BIO SCI 325: Genetics
|CHEM 501: Introduction to Biochemistry
|Select one of the following:
BMS 539 & 540: Public Health Microbiology and Public Health Microbiology Lab OR
BIO SCI 539: Laboratory Techniques in Molecular Biology
|Select one of the following:
BMS 560 & 561: Molecular Diagnostics/Lab OR
BMS 705 & 561: Molecular Pathology/Molecular Diagnostics Lab
Electives Courses (choose one)
|BIO SCI 383: General Microbiology
|BIO SCI 315/316: Cell Biology/Lab
|BIO SCI 536: Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
|BMS 534/535: Medical Microbiology/Lab
|BMS 599: Advanced Independent Study