Have a Question?
We’re here to help! Don’t hesitate to reach out — someone will get back to you shortly.
A select number of full-ride scholarships are available to incoming freshmen who graduate from a public or private high school in the city of Milwaukee. The Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarships are exclusively for students pursuing computer science, data science or information technology majors
Applications are closed for Fall 2022
Thank you for your interest. Watch this page for Fall 2023 application information.
- Complete UWM application, including all transcripts and required materials. Click on the Eligibility Requirements button below to see eligible majors and be sure to list one of those majors as your first choice of study.
- Complete FAFSA
- Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarships Application
All students interested in scholarships must complete UWM’s general scholarship application before applying for a specific scholarship. Students must be admitted to UWM to access the application. Information on the Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship can be found by searching for its name on the scholarship page.
- Graduate from a public or private high school in the city of Milwaukee
- Admitted to UWM as a freshman in one of the following majors:
- BS Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
- BS Computer Engineering
- BA or BS Computer Science
- BS Data Science
- BS Information Science & Technology
- BBA Information Technology Management
- Demonstrated academic merit or potential
- Demonstrated financial need
Benefits: Comprehensive Financial and Academic Support for Up to Five Years
- The scholarships, in combination with other funds available to students with demonstrated financial need, will cover tuition, fees, and room and board.
- Scholarship benefits cover up to five years of financial and academic support at the undergraduate level, as long as the student remains in good academic standing.
- Each scholarship recipient will be assigned a dedicated success coach, an academic advisor, and a peer mentor, and be provided additional tutoring and support opportunities to lead to successful student outcomes.
About Donors Satya Nadella ’90 and Anu Nadella
The Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarships are being provided through the generosity of UWM computer science alumnus and Microsoft Chairman and CEO Satya Nadella and Anu Nadella. They recently donated $2 million to increase diversity in tech education. In addition to providing support for scholarships, their gift also provides funding for academic support and pre-college programming to encourage students from diverse backgrounds to pursue tech education.
UWM Leads with High-Demand Tech Programs
- 91% of engineering and computer science students at UWM get a job or commit to graduate school before graduation.*
- 93% of College of Engineering & Applied Science students participate in paid work-related experiences while in school, including internships, co-ops and research opportunities.*
- UWM offers:
- Accessible, world-class faculty
- Welcoming, inclusive environment
- Diverse community
- Excellent education, close to home
*UWM First Destination Survey December 2019; as voluntarily reported by graduating undergraduate students.
An advisory council will make determinations based on a holistic review of each applicant. The advisory council is comprised of the following campus leaders:
- Kay Eilers, Associate Vice Chancellor
College of Engineering & Applied Science
- Steven Anderson, Retention Coordinator
- Christine Cheng, Associate Professor, Computer Science
- Todd Johnson, Assistant Dean of Student Services
- Susan McRoy, Professor and Chair, Computer Science
- Brett Peters, Dean
Lubar School of Business
- Andrea Wrench, Assistant Dean, Undergraduate Student Services
School of Information Studies
- Angela Sadowsky, Senior Advisor
Student Success Center
- Ariel Milton-Kern, Assistant Director, MKE Scholars
Awardees will be notified of their selection by March 15 and will receive notification via email.
Yes, you may apply for the scholarship and admission at different times, though awardees will only be selected from admitted students meeting the eligibility requirements.
Only students attending a public or private high school in the city of Milwaukee can apply.
Yes, you may change your major.
You can receive multiple scholarships as long as your total aid package is not greater than your cost of attendance. For more information, visit https://uwm.edu/onestop/finances/cost-of-attendance.
Yes, you must submit your FAFSA by the application deadline.
No. You must first apply for admission and be accepted to UWM. Once you file the scholarship application, you will be considered for the scholarship. When you click through to the application, you will need to:
- Log into the portal using your PAWS credentials
- Complete the general application
- Search for Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship
- Complete your scholarship application
Preference will be given to students enrolled in programs wholly or partially offered through the College of Engineering & Applied Science. These include Computer Science (BA and BS), Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, and Data Science.
We encourage all students, including international students, to complete UWM’s general scholarship application via our Scholarship Portal. From there, students can identify additional scholarships of interest they wish to consider.
Students not eligible for federal financial aid can complete the Non-FAFSA Need Worksheet (PDF).