Meet the Recipients
Each recipient is assigned a dedicated success coach, an academic advisor and a peer mentor, and is provided additional tutoring and support opportunities to lead to successful student outcomes.
Have a Question?
We’re here to help! Don’t hesitate to reach out — someone will get back to you shortly.
A select number of full-ride scholarships are available annually to incoming freshmen who graduate from a public or private high school in the city of Milwaukee.
The Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship is exclusively for students pursuing computer science, data science or information technology majors.
How to Apply
Complete and submit the following:
- UWM application for admission, including all transcripts and required materials. Click on the Eligibility Requirements button above to see eligible majors and be sure to list one of those majors as your first choice of study.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to add UWM as a recipient before you submit. Students not eligible for federal financial aid can complete the Non-FAFSA Need Worksheet (PDF) and upload it to the Panther Scholarship Portal General Application.
- Panther Scholarship Portal General Application. Students must complete this to be considered for UWM scholarships. The application opens for submissions on October 1.
- Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship Application. The application opens for submissions on October 1.
Application submission deadline: December 1
All four steps above must be completed by this date to be considered.
- Graduate from a public or private high school in the city of Milwaukee
- Admitted to UWM as a freshman in one of the following majors:
- Applied Mathematics and Computer Science (BA)
- Computer Engineering (BS)
- Computer Science (BA or BS)
- Data Science (BS)
- Information Science & Technology (BS)
- Information Technology Management (BBA)
- Demonstrated academic merit or potential
- Demonstrated financial need as determined by the FAFSA or UWM’s Non-FAFSA Need Worksheet (PDF)
Comprehensive Financial and Academic Support for Up to Five Years
- The scholarships, in combination with other funds available to students with demonstrated financial need, will cover tuition, fees, and room and board.
- Scholarship benefits cover up to five years of financial and academic support at the undergraduate level, as long as the student remains in good academic standing.
- Each scholarship recipient will be assigned a dedicated success coach, an academic advisor, and a peer mentor, and be provided additional tutoring and support opportunities to lead to successful student outcomes.
About Donors Satya Nadella ’90 and Anu Nadella
The Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship is being provided through the generosity of UWM computer science alumnus and Microsoft Chairman and CEO Satya Nadella and Anu Nadella. They donated $2 million to increase diversity in tech education. In addition to providing support for scholarships, their gift also provides funding for academic support and pre-college programming to encourage students from diverse backgrounds to pursue tech education.
UWM Leads with High-Demand Tech Programs
- 91% of engineering and computer science students at UWM secure a job or commit to graduate school before graduation.*
- 93% of College of Engineering & Applied Science students participate in paid work-related experiences while in school, including internships, co-ops and research opportunities.*
- UWM offers:
- Accessible, world-class faculty
- Welcoming, inclusive environment
- Diverse community
- Excellent education, close to home
*UWM First Destination Survey December 2019; as voluntarily reported by graduating undergraduate students.
A committee of faculty and staff from multiple areas makes determinations based on a holistic review of each applicant.
Awardees will be notified of their selection by February 1 and will receive notification via email.
Yes, you may apply for the scholarship and admission at different times, though awardees will only be selected from admitted students who satisfy the eligibility requirements.
Only students attending a public or private high school located in the city of Milwaukee can apply.
Yes, you may change your major. Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to do so.
No. You must first apply for admission and be accepted to UWM. Once you submit the Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship application, you will be considered for the scholarship if you satisfy the eligibility criteria. To access the application:
- Log into the Panther Scholarship Portal using your PAWS credentials.
- Complete the General Application. This makes you eligible for all scholarships at UWM.
- Search for “Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship.” The application opens for submissions on October 1 each year.
- Complete and submit your scholarship application.
Students not eligible for federal financial aid can complete the Non-FAFSA Need Worksheet (PDF).
The Anu and Satya Nadella Scholarship is a “last dollar” scholarship, meaning it will pay any remaining direct costs charged by the university after grants and other scholarships a student receives have been applied to the student’s account. The following charges are eligible:
On-Campus Meal Plan*
Recipients are also eligible to receive $400 per semester for textbooks and supplies.
*Students who choose to live off campus are not eligible for housing or meal stipends.
Yes, as long as the credits satisfy the student’s degree program requirements.
The Nadella Scholarship funds undergraduate semesters of enrollment. However, Nadella Scholars who enroll in the accelerated master’s program or other graduate programs in the College of Engineering and Applied Science may receive priority consideration for assistantships/fellowships that can provide full-ride coverage for graduate study.