Kimberly D. Hassell, PhD
Dr. Kimberly D. Hassell is an associate professor in the Department of Criminal Justice & Criminology. Dr. Hassell teaches both graduate and undergraduate courses including Data-Driven Policing Strategies and Police Intelligence; Police and the Multicultural Community; Women and Policing; Race, Crime and Criminal Justice; Criminal Court Systems; Police Process; and Introduction to Criminal Justice. Her research interests include police organizational behavior, police decision-making, police-community relations, and women in policing.
Dr. Hassell has participated in several police behavior studies focusing on issues such as organizational culture, police-community relations, complaints of police misconduct, workplace climate, promotional issues, and protest policing, among others. She has published articles in professional journals including Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, Police Quarterly, and Journal of Criminal Justice.
She currently serves on the editorial advisory board of Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, and Police Quarterly.
- Ph.D., Criminal Justice, University of Nebraska, 2005
- M.A., Criminal Justice, University of Nebraska, 2000
- B.S., Criminal Justice, Charleston Southern University, 1998
- Police policy
- Police decision making and behavior
- Police management
- Women and policing
- Police-community relations
- Race and criminal justice
- Administration of justice
- Criminal justice processing
- Consultant for the Milwaukee Police Department
- Consultant for the Madison Police Department
- 2012-2013: Outcome and Process Evaluation of Police Decision-Making in Sexual Assault Cases. Total Funds: $14,967.36. Source: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Graduate School Research Committee Awards.
- Hassell, Kimberly D., Carol A. Archbold and Dorothy M. Schulz (2011). Women and Policing in America: A Collection of Classic and Contemporary Readings. New York, NY: Aspen Publishers, Inc.
- Hassell, Kimberly D. (2006). Police Organizational Cultures and Patrol Practices. New York, NY: LFB Scholarly Publishing, Inc.
- Maguire, Edward R., Craig D. Uchida and Kimberly D. Hassell (2015). Problem Oriented Policing in Colorado Springs: A Content Analysis of 753 Cases. Crime and Delinquency, 61(1):71-95.
- Hassell, Kimberly D. and Rickie D. Lovell (2014). Fidelity of Implementation: Important Considerations for Policing Scholars. Policing and Society: An International Journal of Research and Policy, 1-17.
- Romain, Danielle and Kimberly D. Hassell (2014). An Exploratory Examination of the Sources of Socialization Influencing Juvenile Perceptions of Police. International Journal of Police Sciences and Management, 16(1):36-51.
- Hassell, Kimberly D., Tina R. Freiburger, Captain Terrence Gordon, Sergeant Delmar Williams, Officer William Singleton and Officer Cullin Weiskopf (2012). Research in Brief: The Milwaukee Police Department Presents Students Talking It Over With Police. The Police Chief, December 2012. This research was awarded the Excellence in Law Enforcement Research Award by the IACP in 2011.
- Hassell, Kimberly D., Carol A. Archbold and Amy J. Stitchman (2011). Workplace Experiences and Consideration of Career Change among Male and Female Officers. International Journal of Police Sciences and Management, 13(1):37-53.
- Stitchman, Amy J., Kimberly D. Hassell and Carol A. Archbold (2010). Strength in Numbers? A Test of Kanter’s Theory of Tokenism. Journal of Criminal Justice, 38:633-639.
- Hassell, Kimberly D. and Carol A. Archbold (2010). Widening the Scope on Complaints of Police Misconduct. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, 33(3):473-489.
- Archbold, Carol A., Kimberly D. Hassell and Amy J. Stitchman (2010). Comparing Promotion Aspirations of Female and Male Police Officers. International Journal of Police Sciences and Management, 12(2): 287-303.