The mission of the Helen Bader Office of Applied Gerontology is to promote optimal aging and strengthen connections with community partners by advancing opportunities in gerontology education, research and training for students, faculty, and the community.
Dr. Colleen Galambos was selected to the National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine’s Quality of Care in Nursing Homes Committee. Visit The Quality of Care in Nursing Homes web page for more information about the committee.
On Saturday, November 6th, members of the Student Gerontology Association participated in UWM’s Make a Difference Day. Dr. Colleen Galambos, Helen Bader Endowed Chair in Applied Gerontology at UWM, was invited by the National Academy of Medicine to participate in the
Vital Directions for Health and Health Care: Priorities for 2021 initiative. This initiative provides expert guidance on US health policy focus areas, including health care for older adults. Visit nam.edu/VitalDirections to read the policy priorities that can help improve the care and quality of life for all older adults in the article “Actualizing Better Health and Health Care for Older Adults,” co-authored by Dr. Galambos.
Dr. Galambos leading a public session for the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s consensus study committee on Social Isolation and Loneliness in Older Adults: Opportunities for the Health Care System.
Applied Gerontology Interest Form for Students
- Applied Gerontology Home Page
- Graduate Certificate in
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Gerontology – Online Option
- Social Work Minor in Aging
- Helen Bader Age and Community Scholarship
- Irene Frye Scholarship for Gerontology
- Student Gerontology Association
- Faculty and Alumni Profiles
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Event
- Community and Educational Resources
- Galambos, C.M., Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., & Kropf, N.P. (2018). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach (2nd ed). Washington, D.C.: NASW.
- Greene, R.R., Galambos, C. M., Greene, N. (2016). Social work with the aged and their families (4th ed.). New Brunswick, New Jersey: Aldine Transaction.
- Cummings, S. & Galambos, C. (2004). Diversity and aging in the social environment. Binghamton, N.Y.: Haworth Press.
- Galambos, C., Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Crecelius, C., Canada, K., Alexander, G.L., Rollin, L., & Rantz, M. (2021) Enhancing physician relationships, communication, and engagement to reduce nursing home residents hospitalizations. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, April, 36 (2), 99-104.
- Galambos, C., Rollin, L., Bern-Klug, M., Oie, M., Engelbart, E. (2021). Social Services Involvement in Care Transitions and Admissions in Nursing Homes. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 25, 1-18. doi: 10.1080/01634372.2021.1917031. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33896409.
- Fulmer, T., Reuben, D.B., Auerbach, J., Fick, D.M., Galambos, C., Johnson, K. (2021). Actualizing better health and health care for older adults, Health Affairs, 40, 2, 2019-225. https://DOI.org/10.1377/HLTHAFF.20
- Rantz, M., Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Crecelius, C., Alexander, G.L. (2021). Financial and Work-flow Benefits of Reducing Avoidable Hospitalizations of Nursing Home Residents. Journal of Nutrition and Healthy Aging, online.
- Galambos, C., Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., Ge, B., & Petroski, G. (2021). Advance directives in the nursing home setting: An initiative to increase completion and reduce potentially avoidable hospitalizations. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, Jan-Mar; 17(1), 19-34. doi:10.1080/15524256.2020.1863895. Epub 2021 Jan 25. PMID: 33491595.
- Pritchett, A., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Rollin, L., Rantz, M. (2021) Take it to the resident: A model for engaging long term stay residents in advance care planning. Social Work in Health Care. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00981389.20
- De Saxe Zerden, L., Cadet, T.J., Galambos, C. & Jones, B. (2021). Social work’s commitment and leadership to address social determinants of health and integrate social care into health care. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, 43 (3), 309-323. https://doi.org/10.37808/jhhsa.43.3.5.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Petroski, G., Crecelius, C., Alexander, G.L., & Rantz, M. (2021). Results of the Missouri Quality Initiative: Six-year trends of reducing unnecessary hospitalizations. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging. 25(1), 5-12. doi: 10.1007/s12603-020-1552-8.
- Bern-Klug, M., Smith, K.M., Roberts, A.R., Kusmaul, N., Gammonley, D., Hector, P., Simons, K., Galambos, C., Bonifas, R., Herman, C., Downes, D., Munn, J.C., Rudderham, G., Cores, E., Connolly, R. (2021) About a third of nursing home social services directors have earned a social work degree and license, Journal of Gerontological Social Work, DOI: 10.1080/01634372.2021.1891594