- Professor, Social Work
- Helen Bader Endowed Chair, Applied Gerontology
Dr. Colleen Galambos, PHD, LCSW, LCSW-C, ACSW, FGSA, is professor and Helen Bader Endowed Chair in Applied Gerontology at UW-Milwaukee.
Dr. Galambos is a fellow of the Gerontological Society of America, a fellow of the American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare, and a National Association of Social Workers Pioneer. Her practice experience includes clinical, administrative, policy, and research positions in a variety of health and long-term care organizations. Past appointments include the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s Committee on the Health and Medical Dimensions of Social Isolation and Loneliness in Older Adults and the 2020 National Academy of Medicine's (NAM) Vital Directions for Health and Healthcare project. In 2020, Dr. Galambos was appointed to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine's Committee on the Quality of Care in Nursing Homes. Recently, Dr. Galambos was selected as one of the Milwaukee Business Journal’s 2020 Women of Influence for her mentorship of students preparing for careers in gerontology.
Galambos’ active research areas include care transitions, advance care planning/end of life decision making, aging in place, health and long–term care systems quality improvement, gerontechnology, older adults and behavioral health, caregiving and abuse in later life, and competency based gerontological education. She is principle investigator on a Bader Philanthropies grant that is examining the caregiver experience of African American caregivers and resources needed to support their role. She is a co-investigator on an Advancing a Healthier Wisconsin Grant that will integrate advocates in health care settings to strengthen intimate partner screening. Formally, she worked as an investigator on several research projects aimed at improving long-term care, funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, National Institutes of Health, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, totaling over $37 million in grant support.
- Adjunct Professor, Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Co-author Actualizing Population Health for Older Adults, vital Directions for Health and Healthcare 2.0, National Academy of Medicine
- Editorial Board, Journal of Health and Human Services
- Associate Editor, Gerontechnology Journal
- Member, Advisory Board, National Social Services Director's Survey
- Data and Safety Monitoring Board, National Institute on Aging (NIA) Grant #2R44AG049548-02A1
- Galambos, C.M., Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., & Kropf, N.P. (2018). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach (2nd ed). Washington, D.C.: NASW.
- Greene, R.R., Galambos, C. M., Greene, N. (2016). Social work with the aged and their families (4th ed.). New Brunswick, New Jersey: Aldine Transaction.
- Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., Galambos, C.M., & Kropf, N.P. (2007). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach. Washington, D.C. : NASW
- Cummings, S. & Galambos, C. (2004). Diversity and aging in the social environment. Binghamton, N.Y.: Haworth Press.
Select Recent Publications (out of more than 150):
- Galambos, C., Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., Ge, B., & Petroski, G. (2021). Advance directives in the nursing home setting: An initiative to increase completion and reduce potentially avoidable hospitalizations. Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, Jan-Mar; 17(1), 19-34. doi:10.1080/15524256.2020.1863895. Epub 2021 Jan 25. PMID: 33491595.
- Galambos, C., Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Crecelius, C., Canada, K., Alexander, G.L., Rollin, L., & Rantz, M., (In press) Enhancing physician relationships, communication, and engagement to reduce nursing home residents hospitalizations. (In press) Journal of Nursing Care Quality, (slated publication date: April 2021, 36 (2).
- Fulmer, T., Reuben, D.B., Auerbach, J., Fick, D.M., Galambos, C., Johnson, K. (2021). Actualizing better health and health care for older adults, Health Affairs, 40, 2, 2019-225. https://DOI.org/10.1377/HLTHAFF.20
- Pritchett, A., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Rollin, L., Rantz, M. (2021) Take it to the resident: A model for engaging long term stay residents in advance care planning. Social Work in Health Care. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00981389.20
- Rantz, M., Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Crecelius, C., Alexander, G.L. (2021). Financial and Work-flow Benefits of Reducing Avoidable Hospitalizations of Nursing Home Residents. Journal of Nutrition and Healthy Aging, online.
- De Saxe Zerden, L., Cadet, T.J., Galambos, C. & Jones, B. (2021). Social work’s commitment and leadership to address social determinants of health and integrate social care into health care. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration, 43 (3), 309-323. https://doi.org/10.37808/jhhsa.43.3.5.
- Vogelsmeier, A., Popejoy, L., Canada, K., Galambos, C., Petroski, G., Crecelius, C., Alexander, G.L., & Rantz, M. (2021). Results of the Missouri Quality Initiative: Six-year trends of reducing unnecessary hospitalizations. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging. 25(1), 5-12. doi: 10.1007/s12603-020-1552-8.
- Bern-Klug, M., Smith, K.M., Roberts, A.R., Kusmaul, N., Gammonley, D., Hector, P., Simons, K., Galambos, C., Bonifas, R., Herman, C., Downes, D., Munn, J.C., Rudderham, G., Cores, E., Connolly, R. (2021) About a third of nursing home social services directors have earned a social work degree and license, Journal of Gerontological Social Work, DOI: 10.1080/01634372.2021.1891594
- Jun, J.S., Galambos, C. & Lee, K.H. (2020) Information and Communication Technology Use Social Support, and Life Satisfaction among Korean Immigrant Elders, Journal of Social Service Research, DOI: 10.1080/01488376.2020.1848969
- Galambos, C. (2020, May 15). The public health epidemic exacerbated by COVID-19. Issues in Science and Technology (on-line).
- Canada, K.E., Galambos, C., Pritchett, A., Rollin, L., Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., & Vogelsmeier, A. (2020). Transitions of care: Perspectives of patients living in long-term care. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 35, 3, 189-94.
- Kusmaul, N., Bern-Klug, M., Heston-Mullins, J., Roberts, A., & Galambos, C. (2020). Nursing Home Social Work During COVID-19. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 63(6-7), 651-653 DOI: 10.1080/01634372.2020.1787577
- Popejoy, L.L., Vogelsmeier, A.A., Wakefield, B.L., Galambos, C.M., Mehr, D.R. (2020). Testing re-engineered discharge program implementation strategies in SNF's. Clinical Nursing Research, 1-10. DOI: 10.1177/1054773820982612
- Galambos, C.M., Rantz, M., Craver, A., Bongiorno, M., Pelts, M., Holik, A., & Jun, J.S. (2019). Living with intelligent sensors: Older adult and family perceptions. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 37, 11, 245-257. DOI: 10.1097/CIN.0000000000000555.
- Folarinde, B., Alexander, G.L., Galambos, C., Wakefield, B., Vogelsmeier, A. (2019). Exploring perceptions of healthcare providers use of electronic advance directive forms in electronic health records. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 45, 1, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.3928/00989134-20190102-03