- Professor, Criminal Justice & Criminology
Dr. Stan Stojkovic is a Criminal Justice & Criminology professor at the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare. Dr. Stojkovic is an expert in criminal justice administration, prisoner reintegration, and theories of justice. He has written extensively on corrections and works locally, nationally, and internationally with law enforcement and corrections entities.
Dr. Stojkovic’s expertise helps students and the public understand complex and relevant criminal justice issues. He is frequently interviewed by the media about current criminal justice topics.
- Ph.D., Social Science, Michigan State University, 1984
- M.S., Criminal Justice, Michigan State University, 1981
- B.S., Criminal Justice, University of Wisconsin-Platteville, 1977
- A.A., Police Science, Milwaukee Area Technical College, 1975
- Criminal justice administration in jails and prisons
- Theories of justice
- Management of sex offenders in communities
- Prisoner reentry into society
- Elderly prisoners
- 2007-present. $5.8 million grant from the Office of National Drug Control Policy to serve as fiduciary agent for Milwaukee High Intensity Drug Traffic Area.
- Commissioner, Wisconsin Law Enforcement Accreditation Group
- Associate Editor, The Prison Journal: An International Forum of Incarceration and Alternative Sanctions
- Article Referee:
- Criminal Justice and Behavior
- Journal of Crime and Justice
- Journal of Criminal Justice
- Justice Quarterly
- Consultant/Evaluator/Expert Witness, Evaluate correctional-based programs for public and private agencies
- Standards Trainer, The Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, California, 2008-present
- Co-Coordinator, Leadership Institute, California Department of Corrections and California State University, 1994-2004
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Correctional Association
- American Society of Criminology
- Midwestern Criminal Justice Association
- Wisconsin Correctional Association
Media Coverage | Editorials:
- Accreditation: Success Story for Milwaukee Police Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Nov. 14, 2015)
- Disparate Beliefs Among Police Officers on Gun Control: Should This Surprise Us? American Constitution Society for Law and Policy (Oct. 23, 2015)
- Gov. Scott Walker, Republicans Have Distorted Priorities for Wisconsin, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (June 1, 2015)
- Education Has Super Powers Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (May 6, 2015)
- Expert Weighs in on Proposed Statewide Sex Offender Law Wisconsin Public Radio (March 11, 2015)
- Inmates Helping Inmates The New York Times (Dec. 18, 2013)
- Clarke Unfit to be Sheriff, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Feb. 2, 2013)
- Sheriff's View Long on Ideology, Short on Facts Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Aug. 2011)
- Headstrong Walker Risks Great Harm to Wisconsin Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Feb. 2011)
- Early Release: Stick with Facts Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Aug. 2010)
- Our Policy: Lock ‘Em Up, Repeat. Building More Prisons is Not the Answer to Overcrowding Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (Jan. 2010; co-authored with Tom Lebel)
Media Coverage | Public Radio and TV Interviews | Expert Source:
- DOJ Will Review Milwaukee Police Department Wisconsin Public Radio (Dec. 17, 2015)
- Officer Involved: How to Have Unbiased Reviews of Shootings KPCC, Southern California Public Radio (Nov. 12, 2015)
- Poll: Support for Gun Rights is Growing Wisconsin Public Radio (Dec. 16, 2014)
- On the Campaign Trail: Criminal Justice Issues Wisconsin Public Radio (Oct. 2, 2014)
- Bringing Redemption into the Incarceration System Wisconsin Public Radio (June 10, 2014)
They're Just Kids: Are More of Them Being Victimized by Guns? Fox 6 News, Milwaukee (May 27, 2014)
- Crime Analysis at UWM WUWM, Milwaukee Public Radio (May 15, 2014)
- Inmates Donate to Scholarship Fund Wisconsin Public Radio (Jan. 7, 2014)
- Urban Violence Not Unique to Milwaukee WUWM, Milwaukee Public Radio (Aug. 9, 2013)
- Round Up on Sheriff Clarke's Ad Wisconsin Public Radio (Jan. 31, 2013)
- Shooting in Brookfield Wisconsin Public Radio (Oct. 22, 2012)
- Criminal Punishment and Sentencing Wisconsin Public Radio (July 30, 2012)
- Reactions to Colorado Shootings Wisconsin Public Radio (July 23, 2012)
- Prominent Milwaukee Couple Proposes Legalizing Marijuana, WISN 12-News, Milwaukee (May 16, 2012)
- Racial Stereotypes of Young, Black Men Wisconsin Public Radio (March 22, 2012)
- Why Wisconsin’s Prisons Cost So Much Wisconsin Public Radio (March 1, 2012)
- Beyond the Bars: Modern Crimefighting 4th Street Forum (Oct. 2011)
- Reducing Crime and Violence in Milwaukee Wisconsin Public Radio (Aug. 29, 2011)
- Did Missing DNA Thwart Hunt for Serial Killer? WUWM, Milwaukee Public Radio (Sept. 11, 2009)
Media Coverage | Expert Source:
- Is It Time to End Mass Incarceration? Shepherd Express (May 12, 2015)
- Managing Sex Offenders in City Neighborhoods The Northwestern.com (Feb. 17, 2015)
- Inmates Fund Scholarship for Students Media Milwaukee (Sept. 15, 2014)
- Attica Lifers Help Educate Their Own, Albany Times Union (Aug. 21, 2014)
- Making Corrections Work for the Community, Shepherd Express (Sept. 19, 2012)
- 'Right Time' to Form Fresh Food Institute, Milwaukee Business Journal (Aug. 10, 2012)
- Criminal Justice Organizations: Administration and Management. (Cengage Publishers, 2015, Sixth Edition). Co-authors: John Klofas, David B. Kalinich.
- The Administration and Management of Criminal Justice Organizations: A Book of Readings. (Waveland Publishing, 2010, Fifth Edition). Co-authors: John Klofas, David B. Kalinich.
- Corrections: An Introduction. (Bridgepoint Education, 2013). Co-author: Rick Lovell.
- Correctional Leadership: A Cultural Perspective. (Wadsworth Publishing, 2003). Co-author: MaryAnn Farkas.
- Managing Special Populations in Jails and Prisons. (Civic Research Institute, 2005).
- Managing Special Populations in Jails and Prisons, Vol. II. (Civic Research Institute, 2010).
Select Reviews and Essays:
- Prison Leadership and Prison Oversight. Pace Law Review, Vol. 30, 5, 2010, pp. 1476-1489.
- Trial and Error in Criminal Justice Reform: Learning from Failure, by Greg Berman and Aubry Fox, Criminal Justice Policy Review, 2011.
- Prison Administration, Encyclopedia of Criminology & Criminal Justice. Wiley Blackwell Publishing. 2012.
- Co-Author with Stinchcomb, Jeanne, Applegate, Brandon, Kerle, Ken, and Stohr, Mary. Moving Toward Utopia: Visions of Progress for American Jails, Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, Vol. 28, Issue 1, February, 2012, pp. 23-41.
- Co-Author with Mary Ann Farkas. So You Want to Find a House for Sexually Violent Persons: An Account of Political Failure. Criminal Justice Policy Review.