Your major is your primary area of study.  Undergraduate students in CHS must be admitted to one of the majors to earn a baccalaureate degree.  Please note: Admission to major is separate from admission to UWM.  Students typically apply for formal admission to a major after completion of one or more semester(s) of coursework.


A minor is like a “mini-major,” a grouping of classes around a specific subject matter, typically between 18-30 credits. A minor must be combined with a major/degree program. A minor is noted on your official UWM transcript and adds another layer of professional knowledge to your degree, enhancing your résumé and prospects in today’s competitive job market.


A certificate is like a “mini-minor,” a concentrated set of classes grouped around a particular subject matter, typically between 15-21 credits. Unlike a major or minor, however, the courses typically come from several academic departments.  It can be combined with a major/degree program, and some are available as a stand-alone option for individuals, including working professionals, wishing to expand their knowledge in a particular subject area. A certificate is noted on your official UWM transcript and adds an additional dimension of knowledge to your academic record and professional résumé. 

Office of Student Affairs

Cunningham Hall
Room 135

Mailing Address
UWM College of Nursing Student Services
CUN 135
PO BOX 413
Milwaukee WI 53201

Physical Address
1921 E. Hartford Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53211