Public Administration and Nonprofit Management are interdisciplinary fields. Admission is therefore not limited to those with a particular undergraduate major; good students from a variety of backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Prior coursework in microeconomics and statistics is particularly useful. Admission requires a Bachelor’s degree and a 3.00 grade point average (4 point scale) or higher is preferred.
Graduate Degrees in Public Administration and Nonprofit Management
Application for Admission
- Complete the UWM Graduate School application form.
- Your online application should include your rationale for graduate study and pursuit of a professional degree. Your reasons statement should reflect why you are interested in pursuing this particular program and how your career interests fit with the degree.
Applications are considered on a rolling admissions basis, although we suggest that a completed portfolio be submitted at least 6-8 weeks prior to the beginning of the starting semester.
Applicants should keep in mind that applications for various University fellowships are typically due in January. If you are planning to apply for Financial Aid, all application materials must be submitted by March 1 of each year.
Evidence of a Bachelor’s Degree
One official transcript sent directly to the Graduate School from each undergraduate and graduate school attended. If you attended UWM as an undergraduate, the Graduate School will obtain transcripts from the UWM Undergraduate Records Office. Official transcripts must be sent directly to:
UWM Graduate School
Admissions – 261 Mitchell Hall
3203 N. Downer Avenue
P.O. Box 340
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201-0340
GRE or GMAT Scores
- Scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) sent directly to the UWM Graduate School (mandatory). For more information about registration and preparation, visit the GRE website. There is no minimum score requirement for admission, but preferred scores are at or above the 50th percentile for each section of the exam. The MPA Admissions Committee will also accept GMAT in lieu of GRE scores.
- (GRE Institution Code: 1473)
Scores from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (if applicable)
Three letters of recommendation
- Applicants are required to submit three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your academic and/or professional work. Any combination of academic and employer references is fine. Letters should be sent to the following address:
As part of UWM’s Panthera online application system, You will be able to send a request directly to your reference(s). The individual letter of recommendation can then be uploaded by your recommender directly into your online application.
In the event that you do not have your reference’s email information, applicants should provide their references with the following applicable form:
All letters should be sent to the following address:
Department of Public and Nonprofit Administration
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 413
Milwaukee, WI 53201