Students currently in an undocumented immigration status or who have been approved for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) are not eligible to receive federal financial aid.  There are other funding options that Undocumented and DACA students may benefit from exploring:

Apply for scholarships

There are scholarships available specifically designed to assist undocumented and DACA students.

While applying for scholarship undocumented or DACA students may find that the donor would like to know the result of the student’s FAFSA on the scholarship application.  The following resources may help you estimate your FAFSA information:

Other Scholarship Resources:

Apply for a private loan

Many banks and credit unions may require a student to be a US citizen or permanent resident before they would approve a private education loan for the student, but some undocumented and DACA students have been able to locate a private lender that would allow a family member or sponsor who is a US citizen or permanent resident to borrow a private loan on the student’s behalf.  Each private lender will have their own policies, so be sure to contact any lenders before applying to learn about their requirements.  You may review private loan information and lenders by visiting


Many students create a crowdfunding account in order to put out the call to family and friends who may be willing to assist with educational costs.  This allows the student to expand the circle of individuals supporting the student’s education by allowing an easy way for them to directly contribute.  A simple internet search for “crowdfunding” will help you locate many options for creating a crowdfunding account.

Use UWM’s payment plan option

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee does provide an Installment Payment Plan for students to pay out of pocket towards their tuition and charges each semester.  You may learn more about our Installment Payment Plan by visiting the Onestop Website.

Undocumented and DACA students from Wisconsin

Undocumented and DACA students who grew up in Wisconsin or who would meet the standard requirements for Wisconsin Resident Tuition should contact a Residency Specialist in the Department of Undergraduate Admissions by calling 414-229-4672 or in person at Room 212 Mellencamp Hall, 2442 E. Kenwood Boulevard, Milwaukee WI 53211.