Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling

Entrance Counseling provides important information regarding borrowers’ rights and responsibilities assumed when borrowing. You must complete Entrance Counseling before any Direct Loan funds can be disbursed if you are a:

  • First time borrower of federal direct loans
  • Graduate student borrowing a Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Transfer student, in some instances

By selecting the link Entrance Counseling you will be directed to the federal student loan website.  Log in using your FSA ID and select “Complete Loan Counseling ”, then choose “Entrance Counseling”, and select either undergraduate student or graduate/professional student.

Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling

Exit counseling provides an opportunity for the borrower to review their rights and responsibilities and provide their Loan Servicer(s) with current contact information. This helps borrowers make wise decisions with regard to repayment of their loans. Exit counseling is required by the federal government for borrowers of federal student loans when a borrower:

  • Graduates
  • Withdraws, even if you plan to transfer
  • Drops below half-time status (6 credits as an undergraduate or 4 credits as a graduate)

You can see your borrowing history by logging into NSLDS.  NSLDS is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for federal student aid.

Follow this link to log in and complete your Direct Loan Exit Counseling. Exit counseling discussed here covers Subsidized Loans, Unsubsidized Loans, and PLUS Loans (for graduate/professional students) for both the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program and the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program.

Federal Perkins Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note

First time borrowers are required to complete online entrance counseling in order for their loans to disburse. The counseling will detail the borrower rights and responsibilities of the loan. The information will be followed by a short tutorial on the material presented. In addition to entrance counseling, first time borrowers must also complete a master promissory note (MPN). Both items are completed together at http://borrower.ecsi.net. You will see a “To Do” item with instructions on how to complete the requirements online when they become available. May 1 prior to the upcoming award year is the earliest these requirements can be completed.

Please note, if your identity cannot be validated through the online process, the MPN portion will have to be completed by paper. You should print, complete, and submit the paper MPN to the Accounts Receivable Office in Mitchell Hall, room 295. Their mailing address is P.O. Box 413, Milwaukee, WI, 53201-0413.

Federal Perkins Loan Exit Counseling

Exit counseling is required for students that drop below half-time (below six credits for undergraduates or four credits for graduates), withdraw, or graduate. The online exit counseling session will provide pertinent repayment information and also provide the opportunity for borrowers to update their contact information. The request and instructions to complete exit counseling will be mailed from the Accounts Receivable Office in Mitchell Hall, room 295.

PLUS Credit Counseling

A borrower is required to complete PLUS Counseling if an endorser is needed or an appeal has been granted by the U.S. Department of Education. PLUS Loan counseling is separate from Graduate PLUS Loan counseling that all first-time graduate and professional student PLUS borrowers must complete. Find PLUS Counseling here, then:

  • Log in using the borrower FSA ID
  • Select “Complete Loan Counseling”
  • Choose “PLUS Credit Counseling”

Select either parent of an eligible dependent undergraduate student or graduate/professional student.