Pre-College Camp: American Indian Science Scholars Program (AISSP)
July 16-26, 2023
A FREE educational program for Native American high-school students interested in fields of health, science, education, and American Indian culture.
Students should be entering sophomore year or higher of high school and maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher. We will make exceptions to those guidelines, as space allows. Applications are accepted on a first come, first serve basis due to the limited number of slots of students.
This program is supported by: Great Lakes Native American Research Center for Health, a program of Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council Inc.
Each day students will…
- Stay in the UWM dorms
- Meet with camp leaders
- Participate in short classes or activities
This year’s activities may include:
- College campus tours around the Milwaukee Area
- DNA extraction and typing
- Day at the Pharmacy School
- Cruise on the Freshwater Sciences boat
- Water testing and density labs
- Learn about research studies
- Stargaze at the UWM Planetarium
- Tool-box kits for college success
- Brewer game, kayak trip, and/or trip to one of Milwaukee’s museums
- Cultural activities and more!
If you have any questions or would like more information please send an email to Angela Mesic.
If you are a college student interested in being an American Indian Science Scholars MENTOR, please visit https://uwm.edu/eqi/narch-aissp-mentor/
To apply as a 2023 American Indian Science Scholars PARTICIPANT, apply here: