UWM’s Career Planning & Resource Center and Center for International Education work together in supporting our highly valued international students. We understand you may want to obtain a part-time job during your education or continue to work in the U.S. after graduation. To ensure you abide by visa requirements, please see the information below, which will inform you of the process and the correct office to assist you.
CPaRC can help you with:
- Job Search Strategies and Resources
- Resume & Cover Letter Review
- Mock Interview
- Salary Negotiation
CIE can help you with:
- Visa Advisement
- Approval of Employment
- SEVIS Registration
- Social Security Letters
Tips for Part-Time Work:
- You may only work:
- Search and apply for on-campus jobs using PantherJobs
- 20 hours/week (no exceptions)
- When you are offered the job, bring the job offer to CIE to obtain a Social Security Letter and be registered in SEVIS.
Tips for a Full-Time Career in the U.S.
- Develop an active and widespread job search (PantherJobs, Indeed, Networking, Conferences, etc.)
- Bring your resume and cover letter to the CPaRC walk-in hours for review
- Go to CIE and meet with an Immigration Advisor to determine visa status
Still have questions? Go to CIE in Garland 138 and talk to and immigration advisor.