Use our Community Referral Database to locate local mental health resources.
Click here if you want to apply for BadgerCare Plus, Wisconsin’s state supported health care and benefits program.
Click here to learn more about health insurance.
Case Management: Getting You Where You Need to Be
Managing the world of health insurance and healthcare is complicated! SHAW Counseling offers clinical case management services to assist students who seek mental health resources on or off campus. The clinical case manager will take time to understand your unique circumstances and will help you understand options at UWM and beyond.
Why Case Management?
- Connection to academic support and assistance
- Education about mental health services on AND off campus
- Linkage to SHAW Counseling services like groups, individual therapy, drop-in workshops or psychiatry
- Support while re-integrating into Residence Life and academic life following a hospitalization
Referral Services and Linkage
SHAW Counseling Clinical Case Management also aids students in connecting with campus community and greater community resources. Some of these situations might include:
- When you need specialized or longer-term treatment
- When you want to find providers who offer sliding scale or reduced fee services
- When you don’t feel comfortable coming to a campus office to receive services for privacy reasons
- When you would like a therapist that best represents your identities and background
- When you are unsure which resource on-campus, or in Milwaukee, is best for you
- When you seek consultation about providers accepting your insurance coverage
Students and Hospitalization
Returning to campus after a short or extended absence can be stressful. The Clinical Case Manager works with other units at UWM and hospital staff to assist the student by:
- Reaching out during the hospital stay and orienting students to SHAW Counseling brief service model
- Consulting about the treatment plan upon discharge from the hospital
- Providing support throughout the campus re-integration process into housing and academic life
- Facilitating connections to academic support and assistance
- Assisting with referrals through insurance to meet specific insurance and eligibility needs