UWM Libraries Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons Access Policy
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons provides the UWM community with space and resources to support research, study, collaborative work, and social interaction. It is important that the UWM Libraries and the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons provide a welcoming and safe environment for the UWM community while continuing the Libraries’ tradition of being an important resource for non-UWM users.
Access to the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons is unrestricted for weekday hours from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
Beginning at 7:00 PM on Sunday-Thursday, access is allowed to the west wing with a photo ID, whether UWM or other form of photo identification.
- UWM Users should swipe their campus IDs to enter the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons
- UWM Users without their campus IDs will need to show a photo identification card and will be issued a day pass which allows access to the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons. Library staff will need to verify your current UWM affiliation if you don’t have a UWM ID. Please bring your ID with you to campus at all times, this helps our staff and saves time for everyone.
- Non-UWM users will need to show a photo identification card and will be issued a day pass which allows access to the libraries and Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons until 11:00 PM. (This group includes community users, educators from local schools, etc.)
Beginning at 11:00 PM on Sunday-Thursday, all other areas of the Libraries close. Only UWM students, faculty, and staff with valid UWM ID will be allowed to enter or remain in the building until 1:00 AM.
Late Night ID Enforcement
As library staff clear the building to prepare for closing at 11:00 PM Sunday-Thursday, they notify those remaining in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons that they should be prepared to show a UWM ID if they are asked. IDs are systematically checked each night, but will be checked anytime a user’s behavior becomes disruptive or if they are known to the library staff to be a non-UWM user. Anyone unable to produce a valid UWM ID will be required to leave the building.
Leave No Trace
- Enjoy your food and beverages, but do so responsibly so our spaces are clean and pest-free.
- Place your food packaging and waste in the proper receptacles and please put bottles and cans in recycling receptacles.
- Food delivery is permitted, but delivery personnel may not enter beyond the Welcome Desk. Students should make arrangements to meet delivery people in the outer lobby.
- Large amounts of food will not be allowed. Food should be for your personal consumption only.
- Food or beverages are not permitted in the Archives, Special Collections, and designated areas of the American Geographical Society Library.
- Beverages only are permitted in the QUIET STUDY areas of the UWM Libraries (2nd Floor East Wing and Lower Level East Wing).
Group Study Room Policy
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons offers many group study options to facilitate group learning; four of these spaces can be reserved.
- Group study rooms are available for 2 or more people, rather than individual study.
- Groups may not reserve rooms for more than 2 consecutive weeks at the same time.
- A group may stay in the room, provided another group has not reserved the room.
- A group that is more than 15 minutes late forfeits the reservation.
- Please keep the noise down so as not to disturb others.
- Clean up the room before you leave so that it is ready for the next group (i.e., erase whiteboards).
- Study rooms are only available during hours the library is open.
- ePanther ID and current UWM student, faculty, or staff status is required.
Group Study Space Policy – South Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons
Due to high demand from students for group study space, the alcoves in the South Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons are now designated for 2 or more people. This will allow the resources in these spaces to be utilized by the most number of students. If you are studying solo, please use a smaller table in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons or consider studying in these other spaces in the UWM Libraries:
- Large tables in the hallways between wings
- In the stacks
- Quiet Study Spaces are available on 2nd floor east wing and lower level east wing
Laptop Power Cables Policy
- Do not allow power cables to obstruct walkways.
- Move your chair or table close to the outlet.
LCD Monitors Policy
LCD Monitors are for educational group work purposes. Do not attach gaming devices (PSP, Wii, etc.) to any LCD monitor in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons.
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons is a collaborative research and study environment. Please be respectful of others.
- Conversation should not disturb other Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons patrons.
- Headphones and laptop audio should be kept low.
- Cell phones conversations should take place in the foyers or library café area.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure an atmosphere conducive to shared studying and research.
Noise Policy 11:00 PM – 1:00 AM
To support all studying styles in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons post-11PM
Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons
INSTRUCTION ROOMS A & B
SOUTH LEARNING COMMONS
In order to optimize student learning and maximize student engagement in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons, “Study Zones” will be in enforced after 11 PM Sunday-Thursday.
- Chose your own noise level
- Meet with your study group in the South Learning Commons
- Follow the Zones
- Please be considerate of other students in the space (Don’t make library staff shush you!)
Union Parking Garage
A map to the closest parking garage to the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons can be located at http://webgis.uwm.edu/TransportationServices/.
For questions please visit Transportation Services at https://uwm.edu/transportation/parking/ for more information.
Please, do not plug your computer into the monitor or change the channel.
Comments & Questions
User Experiences Librarian
Molly Susan Mathias
Or use the UWM LIbraries Suggestion Form