UWM Libraries Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons Access Policy
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons provides the UWM community with space and resources to support research, study, collaborative work, and social interaction. It is important that the UWM Libraries and the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons provide a welcoming and safe environment for the UWM community while continuing the Libraries’ tradition of being an important resource for non-UWM users.
- Enjoy your food and beverages, but do so responsibly so our spaces are clean and pest-free.
- Place your food packaging and waste in the proper receptacles and please put bottles and cans in recycling receptacles.
- Food delivery is permitted, but delivery personnel may not enter beyond the Welcome Desk. Students should make arrangements to meet delivery people in the outer lobby.
- Large amounts of food will not be allowed. Food should be for your personal consumption only.
- Food or beverages are not permitted in the Archives, Special Collections, and designated areas of the American Geographical Society Library.
- Beverages only are permitted in the QUIET STUDY areas of the UWM Libraries (2nd Floor East Wing and Lower Level East Wing).
Group Study Room Policy
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons offers many group study options to facilitate group learning; four of these spaces can be reserved.
- Group study rooms are available for 2 or more people, rather than individual study.
- Groups may not reserve rooms for more than 2 consecutive weeks at the same time.
- A group may stay in the room, provided another group has not reserved the room.
- A group that is more than 15 minutes late forfeits the reservation.
- Please keep the noise down so as not to disturb others.
- Clean up the room before you leave so that it is ready for the next group (i.e., erase whiteboards).
- Study rooms are only available during hours the library is open.
- ePanther ID and current UWM student, faculty, or staff status is required.
Group Study Space Policy – South Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons
Due to high demand from students for group study space, the alcoves in the South Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons are now designated for 2 or more people. This will allow the resources in these spaces to be utilized by the most number of students. If you are studying solo, please use a smaller table in the Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons or consider studying in these other spaces in the UWM Libraries:
- Large tables in the hallways between wings
- In the stacks
- Quiet Study Spaces are available on 2nd floor east wing and lower level east wing
Windows Visibility Policy
For security purposes please do not block or obstruct the windows to the Group Study Rooms.
The Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons is a collaborative research and study environment. Please be respectful of others.
- Conversation should not disturb other Daniel M. Soref Learning Commons patrons.
- Headphones and laptop audio should be kept low.
- Cell phones conversations should take place in the foyers or library café area.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure an atmosphere conducive to shared studying and research.