The mission of the UWM Libraries is to provide organized and accessible collections of quality research and instructional material, as well as to provide a qualified, skilled, and diverse staff to support the mission of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The UWM Libraries staff established this policy on user rights and responsibilities to help fulfill this mission, as well as operate according to specific building regulations and relevant UWS Administrative Codes to ensure the safety, security, and comfort of everyone using the building.
All UWM students, staff, faculty, and researchers have borrowing privileges for resources held by the UWM Libraries with campus ID. Members of the community are welcome to use the UWM Libraries. Access to resources will not be denied or abridged because of race, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or age. UWM Libraries requires valid identification for access to rare materials. Individual service units have established specific policies for the use of their collections and facilities. Please check at a public service counter for further information.
All users of the UWM Libraries are entitled to:
- Courteous assistance from library staff
- Access to library resources
- Library materials that are in good condition
- A research and study environment free of harassment
- A clean physical environment
All users of the UWM Libraries have the obligation to:
- Interact courteously with other users and library staff
- Keep library materials clean, unmarked, and intact
- Maintain a quiet environment in designated areas
- Abide by campus and library guidelines for use of public workstations
- Refrain from any behavior hindering study, research, or other work
Library Computer Workstations
- The UWM Libraries computer workstations are available to faculty, staff, students, and community members, in order to facilitate the pursuit of excellence in the University’s missions of scholarship, learning, teaching, research, and service.
- Individuals monopolizing computer workstations for two or more hours may be asked to give up computer access for the remainder of the day to allow others an equal chance to access library resources.
- The display of inappropriate materials on library workstations may be construed as constituting a form of harassment prohibited by Federal and State Laws. Access and use violations of computer resources, including the above, are impermissible and are treated seriously by this institution with commensurate sanctions.
- Accessibility stations are reserved for users with special requirements. Others will be asked to relocate if a user with special needs is present.
Library Building Use And Regulations
- Smoking, chewing tobacco, vaping, and e-cigarettes are not allowed.
- Filming/photographing requires advanced approval by submitting a Media Permission form.
- No blocking of entrances, exits, stairwells, aisles, or book stacks.
- Laying on the floor anywhere in the building is not permitted.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller blades or other forms of mechanized transportation are not allowed.
- Soliciting, selling, displaying of items for sale is not allowed.
- Handing out literature & free items is not allowed.
- Do not leave or post materials inside or outside the building.
- UWM Libraries have theft detection equipment and staff members may perform a manual exit inspection for library materials and will contact campus police if attempted theft is suspected.
- Only animals trained to assist individuals with disabilities are allowed in the building.
- For their safety, children 14 and under must be under direct adult supervision at all times.
Food & Drink Policy
- Enjoy your food and beverages but do so responsibly so that the Libraries remain clean and pest free.
- Place food packaging and waste in proper receptacles and use recycling containers when appropriate.
- Food delivery is permitted, but delivery people may not enter the building beyond the lobby.
- Users should make arrangements to meet delivery people in the lobby.
- Large amounts of food are not allowed (no parties!). Bring in food for only your own personal consumption.
Code Of Conduct
- All users of the UWM Libraries must conduct themselves in accordance with these User Rights and Responsibilities. Users who do not comply may be required to show valid identification and asked to leave the building by library staff or university authority.
- Marking in or otherwise vandalizing of library resources, equipment or the building is prohibited.
- No person may intentionally take, carry away, transfer, conceal or retain possession of any library material without the consent of a library staff member.
- Be considerate of others. In quiet areas, put cell phones on vibrate mode.
- If you must talk or be on a cell phone, please go to a stairwell or to a lobby.
- Threatening behavior or unwanted attention toward another individual is disruptive, and will be reported to campus police immediately.
- Shoes, shirts, and proper hygiene are required at all times. Feet must be covered at all times.
Lost And Found
Located on the first floor, West Wing, at the Circulation Desk. Personal belongings left unattended for an extended time are collected and placed in the lost and found.Users are encouraged to use free public lockers located throughout the building to safeguard their possessions while studying in the UWM Libraries.
We request that all groups, including school groups, schedule their visits in advance. For general library tours, please contact Ask a Librarian services, at (414) 229-4659.